Guru Meditation, about to punch my screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
BlipInTheSystem

Guru Meditation, about to punch my screen

Post by BlipInTheSystem »

HI, Its my first time trying to use this virtual machine stuff. I thought it would be a smooth process. I cant seem to get rid of this STUPID guru meditation screen. WHat is he so zen about?!? Im stuck on a black screen with the windows logo. Nothing else is happening. tried turning down the ram to less than 2GB even though I have 8GB on my MacBook. I also turned off Enable EFI. Nothing works
BlipInTheSystem

Re: Guru Meditation, about to punch my screen

I cant upload my log bc its too big.... How? Virtual box tells me to upload the log but its too big? If i try to upload a zip of the log and PNG it says the quota is reached. Im just so sad right now. Someone pls help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The forum has been having trouble uploading files for a few days. Please try again, with a zip of the log file.
BlipInTheSystem

Okay here is the vbox log thank you.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
vbox log
(23.98 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

00:00:01.281643 Host RAM: 8192MB (8.0GB) total, 1366MB available
00:00:01.312305 RamSize <integer> = 0x000000005be00000 (1 541 406 720, 1.4 GiB)
Methinks I detect a slight problem. Your host has to be able to afford to (temporarily) lose the resources you assign to the VM.

Btw, the recommended min spec for Win11-64bit is 4GB (4096MB), so even if you had 1.4GB available it isn't nearly enough for a min spec Win11.

And btw (2), why are you running a 7.0.2 beta? The official release of 7.0.2 was a week or two ago.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:And btw (2), why are you running a 7.0.2 beta? The official release of 7.0.2 was a week or two ago.
You seem to need more practice to recognize the ARM version. SCNR ;)
BlipInTheSystem wrote:HI, Its my first time trying to use this virtual machine stuff. I thought it would be a smooth process.
With a "developer preview"? That's another term for unfinished software. For details, see M1/M2 Mac 7.0 Beta Status.

ATM, I can only recommend to try another hypervisor like UTM, or to use another (Intel/AMD based) computer as a host.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Hmm. I could have sworn the log said it was an Intel host: and it isn't that I forgot, since I'm well aware that 7.0.2BETA often means M1/M2. Perhaps I was remembering someone else's log. Or I guess I just misread ARM64 as AMD64.

So yes, to the OP: your frustration is understandable and perfectly normal to those trying to run high end Intel code on the wrong processor.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

fth0 wrote:more practice to recognize the ARM version
fth0, could this be a clue also? (I saw the same about the 7.0.2 beta version, but was unsure of the M1/M2 status)
00:00:01.313069 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back on IEM

Edit:
00:00:01.281539 VirtualBox VM 7.0.2_BETA4 r154219 darwin.arm64 (Oct 19 2022 20:19:00) release log
QED, I guess... :lol:

The log did report an Intel processor:
00:00:01.981720 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz"
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote: The log did report an Intel processor:
Yep, that's what the VM is emulating. There are clues on lines 1 and 6, but I find those easily missed (or misread) when quickly scanning. The shape of AMD64 is so close to ARM64.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I've done the ARM = AMD thing, too... I see the ARMs now, thanks!

Gonna try to fit this into my log scanner.
BlipInTheSystem

Im not too good with all this to be honest. are you guys saying the MacBook isn't powerful enough to run that version of windows? If that's the case do you think it would work if i tried VM of windows 10? Also I'm using the beta version because my Mac says i have an M1 processor.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

BlipInTheSystem wrote:MacBook isn't powerful enough to run that version of windows?
The MacBook would be powerful enough (*), but the VirtualBox developer preview for M1/M2 isn't suitable to run Windows VMs on the MacBook so far. And IMHO, it will still take several months, if not years, so it doesn't make sense for you to wait for that.

ATM, a MacBook with M1/M2 CPU is no good choice for running a Windows VM, because you'll either have to run Windows on Arm, which is not a released Windows variant, inside the Apple Hypervisor Framework or Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion Tech Preview, or you'll have to use the usual Windows for Intel/AMD CPUs inside the KVM or UTM hypervisors, which are still very slow.

(*) With Rosetta 2, many macOS applications compiled for Intel/AMD CPUs allegedly run with near native speed on M1/M2 CPUs.

mpack wrote:The shape of AMD64 is so close to ARM64.
Especially when using lowercase letters as in "darwin.amd64" vs. "darwin.arm64". Personally, I've been triggered by the version number, because there was no VirtualBox 7.0.2 BETA version for Intel/AMD CPUs that I know of. In fact, I don't even know about any other VirtualBox x.y.z BETA version with z > 0.
Last edited by fth0 on 8. Nov 2022, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
BlipInTheSystem

sigh okay thank you for these details. I'll try to find another way to run the exe programs i want to run then.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

BlipInTheSystem wrote:I'll try to find another way to run the exe programs i want to run then.
Not much chance of that I'm afraid. If you want to run Intel code the best choice is a PC with an Intel (or AMD) processor inside it. An M1/M2 has neither.