Ventura VB 7.0.2 vagrant NS_ERROR_FAILURE Failed to create the host-only adapter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Johnish

Ventura VB 7.0.2 vagrant NS_ERROR_FAILURE Failed to create the host-only adapter

Post by Johnish »

Hello all.
Mac osx Ventura 13.0
Virtual Box 7.0.2
Vagrant 2.3.2

Note that the virtual box I'm trying to start does not have 3D Acceleration enabled.

vagrant up produces the following

Code: Select all

Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Clearing any previously set network interfaces...
There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["hostonlyif", "create"]

Stderr: 0%...NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage: error: Failed to execute '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxNetAdpCtl add 2>&1' - exit status: 34304
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component HostNetworkInterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleCreate(HandlerArg *)" at line 105 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp
I have checked Privacy & Security and allowed Oracle Inc., rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled VB, disabled SIP, tried to run kext commands but that gave errors of them not existing in the expected location.

I have tried all the suggestions I have found but haven't gotten this to work.

Thanks in advance!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Ventura VB 7.0.2 vagrant NS_ERROR_FAILURE Failed to create the host-only adapter

Post by mpack »

Vagrant installs are not supported here. Vagrant has their own support forum.
bgpDevOps

Re: Ventura VB 7.0.2 vagrant NS_ERROR_FAILURE Failed to create the host-only adapter

Post by bgpDevOps »

I'm seeing the same problem since upgrading to MacOS Ventura 13.0. Vagrant is not able to create the host-only adapter. This worked great in previous OS.

Stderr: 0%...NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage: error: VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: No such file or directory

VirtualBox was install using brew. I uninstalled virtualbox and the downloaded the DMG install file, but still getting the same error when starting a new VM in virtual box.

Previous versions of VirtualBox and Mac required me to allow change Security & Privacy settings, but I'm not able to see that option in Ventura.

Any other work arounds would be appreciated.

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

bgpDevOps wrote:Vagrant is not able to create the host-only adapter.
Please note that Host-Only has a special permissions issue if you are using any other IP address ranges besides the default 192.168.56.1.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06. ... k_hostonly
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

bgpDevOps wrote:MacOS Ventura 13.0. Vagrant is not able to create the host-only adapter.
On supported macOS hosts (Catalina+), VirtualBox 7.0.2 does not use KEXTs any more. In consequence, instead of the Host-Only Adapters the new Host-Only Networks have to be used (see 6.7. Host-Only Networking).

Vagrant 2.3.2 only can create Host-Only Adapters. Vagrant 2.3.3 is supposed to be able to create Host-Only Networks (see VM with Host-Only Networks setting does not boot in VirtualBox7 #12959).
chuckwolber

Post by chuckwolber »

It is also worth noting that on macOS Host-only Networks use bridges to dynamically manage traffic. VPNs lock route tables so Host-only Networks break when you connect to a VPN unless the VPN is configured to allow split tunnels (which should be rare these days). Host-only Adapters did not have this problem, but they are unavailable to anyone who has upgraded their Mac to Ventura and had to upgrade to VirtualBox 7.

This is a very serious Catch-22. It means no corporate user on a mac can use Host-only Networks, unless their corporate policy allows split VPN tunnels.