Virtualbox BETA doesn't work for M2 cpu at all

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
bulbasaur

Virtualbox BETA doesn't work for M2 cpu at all

Post by bulbasaur »

So even though I saw it is mentioned it would work, simply when I create VM for Ubuntu x64 it says CPU NOT SUPPORTED or such. I am using MacBook Pro M2 chip and Vb BETA 7.0.2. The reason why I need it so bad is because a lot of my University courses have premade VM that contains all sort of setups and databases needed.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtualbox BETA doesn't work for M2 cpu at all

Post by mpack »

Where did you read that it should work? In fact it mostly does not work. 64bit VMs are not supported for example.
bulbasaur

Post by bulbasaur »

Do we know why haven't yet make it work for x64? Like it's been some time since the chips were released.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That's easy: no attempt has been made to make it work with 64bit guests without VT-x. The code simply does not exist in VirtualBox, and never has. Ditto guests that use more than 1 CPU core. It will take man years of effort to improve that position, and the market that will pay for it is not clear (to me at least).

I frankly don't understand why people expect simulation of high end Intel processors to ever be usable on an ARM processor. If you want to run Intel code, ISTM you had best buy an Intel based PC! If you want to get into ARM, then stick to ARM based MacOS apps.