Simply can't find where to download Guest Additions on the downloads page for Vbox 7.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Nick is not my name

Simply can't find where to download Guest Additions on the downloads page for Vbox 7.

Post by Nick is not my name »

Hi,
I have been away for a while and just installed Vbox 7. It looks and feels great so far. Some major bugs were fixed that I'm grateful for. However, looking at the download page I don't see a link to download the "Guest Additions" for some reason. I am on a Max OS Monterey. Can someone give me an idea approximately where they are? I found and installed the ext. pack no problem, but need the guest additions.

Thanks so. much,
Want To Learn
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Simply can't find where to download Guest Additions on the downloads page for Vbox 7.

Post by granada29 »

In general there is no need to download the Guest Additions. They are already bundled with your VirtualBox installation. Please remember that the software in the Guest Additions is for installation in a VM, not on your host system.

To access the Guest Additions:

1. Run your VM - I am unaware of any guest that cannot run without installed Guest Additions.
2. Bring your VM window to the foreground - it may be there already.
3. In the host menubar, there is menu labelled Devices
4. Choose the last entry in this menu - Insert Guest Additions CD Image ...
5. The Guest Additions CD will now be available to your guest VM, attached to a virtual CD drive. What happens next depends on your guest OS.
Nick is not my name

Re: Simply can't find where to download Guest Additions on the downloads page for Vbox 7.

Thank You granada29,
It has been many many months that I hadn't used Vbox, but I what I remember was that I would download the guest additions from the Vbox site then install them on my mac and then within Windows I would open up guest additions and choose which one was best for my Vbox. It would show up in file manager in Win.10. This time it didn't so I assumed because the download wasn't on the site separately that it was missing.

So sorry! I did the download an install late at night last night and it appeared missing. It must come already installed now or I forgot that it ALWAYS came installed. I went into file manager and didn't see the guest additions installer choices and now I do! Very strange I didn't see it last night. It was the first thing I looked for!

Again, sorry! Thanks so much for your help! I'm looking forward to the upgrades.

Want To Learn
Nick is not my name

Thanks again granada29. The update has fixed some pretty big issues that I was having. Resizing to a workable size seemed to slow it down to a crawl with my OBS software, but now it doesn't. However, I am still having issues with audio input. I remember posing this question on this forum many many months ago and the answer was the signature was missing or that it was a permission issue. Maybe still? It could be me, but I've made several attempts and I got as far as getting some audio in watch the meters then Windows 10 would freeze. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough?
Or, my Mac?

I know the idea is to post this question somewhere else in this forum, but I plan to just wait and see this time!

Thanks,
Want To Learn