Win11 VM freezes on MacBook Pro with Intel i7 CPU and MacOS Ventura

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mranonym

Win11 VM freezes on MacBook Pro with Intel i7 CPU and MacOS Ventura

Post by mranonym »

Hello,

I have a problem with VirtualBox on my MacBook Pro 2019 (13”, 2,8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655) under macOS 13.0 Ventura.
I tried to install Windows 11 Pro 22H2 x64 as guest OS. With the manual installation, I had the problem, that the screen resolution during Setup was too low, so the necessary Buttons weren’t displayed.

With the automatic installation, Setup was complete and the guest additions of VBox were installed successfully. But the key problem is, that after approximately 3-5 minutes, the whole VM freezes. So I can’t click anything and must kill the VM. I guess there’s a problem with the guest additions. 3D acceleration is deactivated.

I’m using Virtual Box 7.0.2 with installed extension pack. The last log file of the Win11 VM is attached.

Does anybody have a possible solution?

Thanks.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(39.75 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
GrumpyDragon

Re: Win11 VM freezes on MacBook Pro with Intel i7 CPU and MacOS Ventura

Post by GrumpyDragon »

I have the exactly same problem on a Mac MIni running Ventura.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ventura is not a supported host. v7 has had some intermediate work done, but it isn't expected to be stable and anyway v7.0.0/2 is unstable for other reasons too (like being brand new).
mranonym

Post by mranonym »

mpack wrote:Ventura is not a supported host. v7 has had some intermediate work done, but it isn't expected to be stable and anyway v7.0.0/2 is unstable for other reasons too (like being brand new).
This is interesting... Does anybody know, how much time it took in the past in average between a MacOS Upgrade and a first supported version of VirtualBox for the new version?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

mranonym wrote:Does anybody know, how much time it took in the past in average between a MacOS Upgrade and a first supported version of VirtualBox for the new version?
I think it varied quite a lot, and you can't assume that Ventura is the ultimate priority for the devs. Win11 compatibility is still a problem.