VirtualBox 7 Crashing on Ventura 13.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
CarlosCL3

VirtualBox 7 Crashing on Ventura 13.0

Post by CarlosCL3 »

HI, I just installed Ventura in my 2019 macbook pro. Then I tried to run VirtualBox VM and it crashed as soon as I started one of my virtual machines. I had the latest VirtualBox 6 version. I decided to upgrade to VirtualBox 7 in case that would solve the problem. but this did not solve anything. The VirtualBox message is quite cryptic

NS_ERROR_FAILURE [0x800040005]

I also ran the

spctl kext-consent add VB5E2TV963

command but to no avail.

I attach the mac error report in case it is of any help.

Any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Carlos
Attachments
VB7.in.Ventura.txt
Dump of Mac error message.
(7.98 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Ant AvP

Re: VirtualBox 7 Crashing on Ventura 13.0

Post by Ant AvP »

Hello, I've got the same problem. As I've had a look into the log-file, I've found out that there seem's a problem wit OpenGL. Than I deactivated the 3D-Support and restarted the virtual machine. And that was it. The machine without 3D-support started successfully. I hope that Oracle is going to fix this soon, because I need the 3D-Support for my work. But maybe this information will help most of you people in this forum. Best regards, Ant from Germany.
Ant AvP

Post by Ant AvP »

This issue happens not only on Ventura (13.0). Even on Monterey (12.6.1) there is the same issue. In the environment you have to turn off the 3d-support too, to use your VM. So this issue happens in both Mac Os versions, Ventura and Monterey. Hope this will be fixed soon.
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

I was at VB 6.1 before upgrading to Ventura. After the upgrade all my VMs (Ubuntu and Win10) have started crashing on loading the kernel extensions. Upgrading VM to 7.0.2, have fixed Win10 but Ubuntu has continued crashing. The problem on Ubuntu VM's was fixed by disabling Settings->Display->Enable 3D acceleration (it was disabled on Win10 by default). Thanks for your advice!
JavaOops

Post by JavaOops »

Same issue, and same "fix" for guests on VB7 on Ventura. I ended up reinstalling to get it to work, not knowing
the problem.
CarlosCL3

Post by CarlosCL3 »

Many thanks !! Disabling 3D helped.