extension pack on 6.1?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
eaeriel

extension pack on 6.1?

Post by eaeriel »

Hi, I have version 6.1 running on my 10.12 sierra machine, trying to run Windows 2000. It doesn't like my midi interface apparently (Emagic AMT8). I've tried it on both USB 2.0 and 3.0 plugs...tried downloading the extension pack but it doesn't want to install on this build. Pretty sure the latest build doesn't work on sierra? I think I may be out of luck and need to move on to other VM's- already tried Wine and can't use Parallels anymore because of their policies about legacy software.

Any ideas or other forum/web resources? I am spent and wanted to be sure I left this as an earmark for this evening :cry:

This looks like a great system if I can get my usb devices to work in it.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: extension pack on 6.1?

Post by fth0 »

According to 1.4. Supported Host Operating Systems, only macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and newer are supported as host OS.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

eaeriel wrote:tried downloading the extension pack but it doesn't want to install on this build.
How does it express this lack of desire? :D Please show the error message.

The Extension Pack is really a gzip file and can be unpacked and placed in the correct location manually, at least on Windows hosts, while Virtualbox is not running. This could be possible on a Mac host, too, though I don't know where the EP files normally would go in a Mac.

I get the impression that you have a running 2000 Virtualbox VM on your Sierra host, so it's possible that despite not being supported, as fth0 shows, Virtualbox might still work and the EP might still be unpackable, if a Mac guru can show where to put the files in the gzip. Note that if issues develop, we might not know how to fix them, though, because of the non-supported status of Virtualbox on Sierra.

If we can get the EP unpacked and loaded properly, then see USB basics and troubleshooting on getting the USB device into the VM. 2000 may only allow USB 2.
eaeriel

Post by eaeriel »

I mean that it doesn't want to install on this build. Desire is a strong word! :D

I thought older versions worked on 10.12? It's always good when companies and/or devs put up front in their documentation what each version runs on. Helps a ton for those of us that need to run older machines/software because of software availability reasons (which is also part of why we need virtual machines - I'm moving from Parallels because they won't support my VM endeavors anymore which requires midi software that was built in the 90s, of which there are no current alternatives :-( ).

I will try and find where to just plop the extension pack in later this week, or perhaps try and revert again to an earlier version than 6.1 before I try either install method. I was very happy that I was able to up the resolution of the Windows 2000 machine I need to run. If I can fix this last issue I will definitely be sticking with VB!

Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Old builds back to 4.0 are still available at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds. You can pull up a particular version's manual to check its section 1.4 for the supported host OS's using this link:

https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/X.Y.Z/UserManual.pdf

where X.Y.Z is the version you want to check. 4.0.0 covers Mac OS 10.5, so 10.12 should get support somewhere down the line. Take the highest Z number you can get. Use the same version Extension Pack.
eaeriel

Post by eaeriel »

Thank you! Will give try!
eaeriel

Post by eaeriel »

I've tried both windows 2000 and windows xp, but neither will connect to my midi interface via usb (both say "failed to connect" when selecting the device from the vb usb menu. Other usb devices such as a thumb drive experience the same issue, except the thumb drive is actually greyed out , whereas the midi interface is not.

I've read over the usb filter instructions multiple times - tried unplugging the midi interface while loading XP after creating a filter in VB. No dice.

MORE:
version 6.0 with 6.0 guest additions installed
extension pack installed
memory: 2Gigs
USB 2.0 (installs root hub fine in XP and 2000)
I am in 32 bit (this is 2000 and XP guests) but host (OSX 10.12.1) can launch apps in 64 or 32.

read through these links:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=82639#p390402
https://appuals.com/virtualbox-failed-to-attach-usb/

...and a bunch of other threads with related info on here.

Thanks if you can help and let me know if more info is needed.