Windows 11 install from ISO fails - Recovery Screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
DerPat

Windows 11 install from ISO fails - Recovery Screen

Post by DerPat »

Hello all,

I have searched a while now for a solution but cannot find anything.

When I try to install Windows 11 from a freshly downloaded ISO file, the install fails and I get a recovery screen. See attachment. EFI is activated in my config.
Does someone know how to fix this?

Cheers!
Patrick
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-08-22 at 11.05.09 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-08-22 at 11.05.09 AM.png (29.06 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 11 install from ISO fails - Recovery Screen

Post by mpack »

I'm guessing that it's a recovery DVD, not an installer. Or, a branded installer that relies on a prepaid Windows digital signature stored in the motherboard by the PC manufacturer (obviously, free VM software can't give you that). Or, it isn't an official installer at all, or perhaps it's corrupted.

Ultimately, this looks like a software support question you need to ask Microsoft. These are VirtualBox discussion forums, we can't help you bypass Windows licensing issues.

People install Windows 10 and 11 every day from ISOs downloaded from the official MS site, so we know there is no systemic problem, other than the measures needed to bypass '11s hardware compatibility check (which don't produce your error AFAIK).
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

If this is a clean install of Windows 11 with EFI enabled, one possibility is that the VM is attempting to boot from the 'virtual hard drive', which has no Boot file yet. You may need to get into the (U)EFI menu during the Boot process to make the selection to Boot from the CD (ISO).

Try repeatedly pressing ESC during boot up. If you end up in the 'Shell' screen type Exit and press Return to access the EFI menu.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

One other thing as well: Virtualbox 6.1 does not present compatible "hardware" to Windows 11 (no TPM or secure boot). You'll have to use the well-publicized web-searchable hacks and tweaks to get 11 to install on older incompatible PCs to get 11 into Virtualbox 6.1.

7.0 will be compatible when it comes out, but no dates have been released yet.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

multiOS wrote:If this is a clean install of Windows 11 with EFI enabled, one possibility is that the VM is attempting to boot from the 'virtual hard drive', which has no Boot file yet
Well, the error dialog shown comes from the Windows installer (it certainly didn't come from the VirtualBox BIOS!) which implies that the VM did boot into some kind of Microsoft installer code.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, the NTSTATUS error 0xC0000428 (STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH) has been seen in Windows 7/8 installations without SHA-2 support, which doesn't fit the information given so far.

Nobody interested in a VBox.log file? ;) I am. Please provide a (zipped) VBox.log file from a VM run where the error occurred.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

fth0 wrote:which doesn't fit the information given so far.
Agreed: if all I had was the error message I'd be thinking about a P2V migration problem. But the OP specifically said that he downloaded an ISO. The only thing not said was that he downloaded it from an official Microsoft site.

And it's weird that an installer error message proposes that might have not an installer. That's why I was thinking rescue DVD.
DerPat

Post by DerPat »

Hey Guys.

Thanks for you feedback. I wasnt able to make it run. Even Windows 10 is not working. I have deleted everything (incl. the log, sorry). Maybe I will give it a new try someday.

BTW: It was an official Windows Image from Microsoft, downloaded from their website.

Have a good one!

Patrick
DerPat

Post by DerPat »

Guys, I have found the issue. There was the "Intel Power Gadget" installed on my Mac. After deleting it, everything was fine.