Monterey 12.5.1 and extensions not loading

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
dstjohn

Monterey 12.5.1 and extensions not loading

Post by dstjohn »

I feel like I got hit by lightning! Was bringing an old Macbook pro up to date yesterday for the express purpose of running a few VMs on it, and can't get the kernel extensions to load (at least, pretty sure that's what's happening). After digging in, concluded that the issue is probably an extension/kernel compatibility issue of some type. How can that be? I'm running this version of VB on another Mac with the same OS version... not. Seems apple dropped 12.5.1 sometime yesterday morning and I updated the OS early afternoon. Assuming I've diagnosed this correctly, is there any way for me to intervene to get these extensions to run on 12.5.1?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Monterey 12.5.1 and extensions not loading

Post by multiOS »

From the limited information available from Apple on the update - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213413 - it appears that it may be possible that there has been impact on the previously installed VirtualBox Kexts.

I am just about to backup prior to installing the update, so will let you know shortly whether or not I experience the same issue. I haven't seen any similar reports on the Forum yet!
multiOS
Volunteer

Post by multiOS »

I've just completed the upgrade to 12.5.1 (on a MacBook Pro 2019) and VirtualBox is still operating normally.

All I can suggest is that you try reinstalling VirtualBox, following the usual process to allow the Oracle update in Settings > Security & Privacy during installation, to see if that corrects the problem. If that does not work, could you clarify at what point the VirtualBox application 'fails' and, if it is during/after the launch of a VM, submit a 'zipped' copy of the vbox.log for the VM you are attempting to run, which might offer some clues to the cause of the problem.
dstjohn

Post by dstjohn »

Thanks, multiOS. I'll follow up here a soon as I can with details about what I'm seeing. I've tried re-installing multiple times now, with invocations of the uninstaller in between each, so something more subtle than usual must be wrong on this machine.
dstjohn

Post by dstjohn »

The error that motivated this topic occurs when I try to create a new host network. That fails with "VBoxnetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: No such file or directory." I googled around and found some hits indicating that I should try approving the loading of the extensions from the command line, which I did and did not help. I also found a post suggesting a restart from the command line, which I tried and resulted in this:

Code: Select all

% sudo "/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/LaunchDaemons/VirtualBoxStartup.sh" restart
Password:
Loading VBoxDrv.kext
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=31 "Error occurred while building a collection: in /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/spl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/KernelExports.kext/KernelExports: in '/Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/spl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/KernelExports.kext/KernelExports' missing __TEXT segment" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Error occurred while building a collection: in /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/spl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/KernelExports.kext/KernelExports: in '/Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/spl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/KernelExports.kext/KernelExports' missing __TEXT segment}
Error: Failed to load org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
Loading VBoxUSB.kext
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=31 "Error occurred while building a collection: in /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/spl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/KernelExports.kext/KernelExports: in '/Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/spl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/KernelExports.kext/KernelExports' missing __TEXT segment" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Error occurred while building a collection: in /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/spl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/KernelExports.kext/KernelExports: in '/Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/spl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/KernelExports.kext/KernelExports' missing __TEXT segment}
Error: Failed to load org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB
Loading VBoxNetFlt.kext
Error: Failed to load org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt
Loading VBoxNetAdp.kext
Error: Failed to load org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil unload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Kernel request failed: (libkern/kext) not found (-603947002)" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Kernel request failed: (libkern/kext) not found (-603947002)}
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil unload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Kernel request failed: (libkern/kext) not found (-603947002)" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Kernel request failed: (libkern/kext) not found (-603947002)}
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil unload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil unload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
Fatal error: VirtualBox
When I try to start the VM, I get an error dialog with the message "The virtual machine 'station' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).". No vbox.log file is created, but a vboxui.log file is created with the following content:

Code: Select all

00:00:00.233354 VirtualBox GUI (separate) 6.1.32 r149290 darwin.amd64 (Jan 13 2022 20:13:15) release log
00:00:00.233360 Log opened 2022-08-18T17:49:56.326214000Z
00:00:00.233360 Build Type: release
00:00:00.233374 OS Product: Darwin
00:00:00.233380 OS Release: 21.6.0
00:00:00.233386 OS Version: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Wed Aug 10 14:25:27 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.141.5~2/RELEASE_X86_64
00:00:00.233496 DMI Product Name: MacBookPro11,4
00:00:00.233572 DMI Product Version: 1.0
00:00:00.233576 Firmware type: failed - VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED
00:00:00.233586 Host RAM: 16384MB (16.0GB) total, 8857MB (8.6GB) available
00:00:00.233591 Executable: /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/Resources/VirtualBoxVM.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBoxVM
00:00:00.233591 Process ID: 13221
00:00:00.233592 Package type: DARWIN_64BITS_GENERIC
I've tried reinstalling multiple times with no success. Interestingly, I've not yet been prompted to approve the installation of the extensions.
multiOS
Volunteer

Post by multiOS »

As 'something appears to be badly broken' in VirtualBox, the only suggestion I have left is a complete uninstall/clean reinstall of the VirtualBox application including the kexts (rather than a reinstall over the exiting installation), if you haven't tried this already. This shouldn't have any effect on your existing VMs which, if they aren't automatically recognised by the fresh installation, can be re-added/registered, but a back-up of all VMs will provide added security.

The procedure, including the kext removal process, is described by granada29 in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104589

Maybe send a PM to granada29 with i link to this thread if that doesn't work, or if you already tried a clean VirtualBox install, to see if he has any further suggestions.