Trying to set up first VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
TheOtherNiki

Trying to set up first VM

Post by TheOtherNiki »

I'm going to admit, I'm in over my head and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've watched a few YouTube tutorials to get the VM set up, but when they're done, their VM opens to a desktop window, mine opens to a black screen with UEFI Interactive Shell.

What I want to do is create another MacOS desktop screen. My ultimate goal is to screen record a five minute performance from an app that blocks screen recorders. I was told to try using a VM, but this is all way beyond me. I don't do coding, I'm a novice when it comes to doing things like using a VM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, how do I set up my VM so it opens the Mac OS? I'm I missing a step somewhere?

Second, how do I go about playing the video in the app and recording it with the VM... or should I be playing the video in the VM and recording it with my regular OS? Maybe there's a tutorial video for this, but I haven't found one that I can follow.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Trying to set up first VM

Post by multiOS »

At the Shell screen I believe you need to type EXIT (or use the ESC Key) which should take you into the UEFI Settings screen, which then allows you to select the Boot Option ('Virtual CD Drive') for your ISO Installer. - I presume you have prepared an ISO for the version of macOS you intend to use and have it selected in the 'CD Drive'.

The standard procedure for installing a first VM in outlined in the VirtualBox User Guide Section 1.7 at https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html or by using the PDF version included with the VirtualBox app using 'Help' > 'Contents' from the VirtualBox Menu. (Unfortunately, detailed guidance on accessing the UEFI Settings screen isn't (yet) included in the outline, but hopefully will be added soon as the need to use EFI is increasing.)