Guest freezes until host is interacted with

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
nohairdave

Guest freezes until host is interacted with

Post by nohairdave »

I run 3 windows VMs. When connected to a guest (windows 10 with latest guest additions) over the Remote Desktop (provided by virtual box’s display options) and the guest os is in headless mode, I am observing intermittent issues:

1/ Unable to connect to host
2/ RDP session cannot display / update the display

When I view the guest on the host, the connection / refresh resumes working ok

Similar to topic f=2&t=94508 on this forum

I have tried: reinstallation of vbox, resinstalltion of extension packs and guest additions, moving to another host. All result in the same behaviour.

I have also tried options layer out in the article above - changing the graphics controller. This works for a while, then the issues resumes (I suspect its just the interaction with the host that triggers resumption of connectivity/display.

If I do view the guest on the host, it only resolves the viewed guest (i.e. the other two VMs are not accessible/update over RDP). If I close (and continue to run in background), any interacted with VM is ok… for a while.

I have not been able to determine if an event or timeout is associated with this issue.

Has anyone out there seen similar issues? Any potential solutions?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guest freezes until host is interacted with

Post by scottgus1 »

Let's take a look at the setup, please.

For each VM, Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Copy the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file)to the desktop. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.) Zip all the .vbox files, then post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also please post the commmand or ip address/port you're remoting into. And please post the "ifconfig" from the host Mac OS.
nohairdave

Post by nohairdave »

@scottgus1, file attached - with PII removed (****)
ifconfig and a host info file in the .zip covering your other questions and some basic info re. the host
thanks for any clues
Attachments
Archive.zip
(9.94 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the info. Here are the VMs' settings:
VM1: "<RemoteDisplay allowMultiConnection="true"/>" <- enabled, default port 3389
VM2: "<RemoteDisplay allowMultiConnection="true">
<Property name="TCP/Ports" value="3390"/>"
VM3: "<RemoteDisplay allowMultiConnection="true">
<Property name="TCP/Ports" value="3391"/>"

host IP address: en1: 192.168.1.96; utun3: 100.112.249.60

Command used: <hostname>:port# or 192.168.1.96:port# or 100.112.249.60:port#

You're reporting intermittent failures to connect or update the RDP display.

Intermittent means the commands work sometimes, and sometimes something gets in the way.

The only things I could suggest, to see if it's related to the IP addresses or something on the host, is to try the host loopback address:

127.0.0.1:port#

also, if the Windows OS's are Pro or higher, try the built-in MS RDP. You'd need a Bridged or Host-Only connection, as this kind of RDP is directly into the VM OS & default RDP port: VMOS.ip.add.ress:3389

Please report back if the intermittentness continues. You might have to try a Wireshark trace, and maybe a Wireshark guru here on the forum might be able to interpret it.
nohairdave

Post by nohairdave »

I can try loopback, but as soon as I interact with vbox on the host, the remote RDP resumes operation - so I suspect it’s unlikely that that will show the issue.

I can use wire shark, if I see something obvious, will report back. Will try server end first, see if a request is hitting it from a remote client.