UUID issue running .vhd from VB on G5 PPC Mac 10.5.8

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
forum

UUID issue running .vhd from VB on G5 PPC Mac 10.5.8

Post by forum »

Hello,

I have Microsoft Virtual PC 7 running on a G5 PPC Mac 10.5.8, so far I have only managed to get xp to install without issues

fyi, this app saves the hd images as a .vpc7 file

I created a working Debian 11 install in virtualbox on an x86_64 machine in a .vhd format

I then copied the drive image over to the G5 ppc Mac, and successfully imported the Debain image to MS virtual PC 7 for Mac

trouble is I've ran in to this UUID issue when I boot it - see image

is anyone able to help me out with this please?

Thanks
Attachments
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (96.54 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: UUID issue running .vhd from VB on G5 PPC Mac 10.5.8

Post by scottgus1 »

forum wrote:I created a working Debian 11 install in virtualbox on an x86_64 machine in a .vhd format

I then copied the drive image over to the G5 ppc Mac, and successfully imported the Debain image to MS virtual PC 7 for Mac
This looks like a "VirtualPC" question, not a Virtualbox question. The VM worked in Virtualbox and fails in VirtualPC. Might want to ask the VirtualPC folks about this.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If "ppc" means PowerPC, then it's the wrong processor. VirtualBox is a hypervisor, not a simulator, so it requires x86 processors. VMs created in VirtualBox will not run on Macs from the PowerPC era nor from the M1 era.

That being said, I'd be surprised if you could possibly have a working XP either on that G5 Mac.

Did MS really do a port of VPC7 to PowerPC? Whatever for I wonder? They had native ports of all office apps they cared about.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:Did MS really do a port of VPC7 to PowerPC?
No, it was the other way around. Connectix Virtual PC started as a Macintosh application to run Windows on the PowerPC Macs, before Microsoft even bought it: Windows_Virtual_PC#History.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That article doesn't seem to have much to say about Mac versions. As soon as it gets bought by MS and ported to Windows (apparantly for the release known as Virtual PC 2004?), then that Wikipedia article has nothing more to say about Macs. Certainly no indication that Macs ever got a port of VPC2007. And is VPC7 the same as VPC2007?

The article also doesn't mention how a PowerPC runs x86 code. I assume there must have been a CPU emulation feature which was stripped out for the Windows port. The article does mention that running Win2K requires a faster processor, confirming I think the CPU emulation assumption.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:That article doesn't seem to have much to say about Mac versions. As soon as it gets bought by MS and ported to Windows (apparantly for the release known as Virtual PC 2004?), then that Wikipedia article has nothing more to say about Macs. Certainly no indication that Macs ever got a port of VPC2007. And is VPC7 the same as VPC2007?
Windows Virtual PC - History - Microsoft Virtual PC section wrote:On July 12, 2006, Microsoft released Virtual PC 2004 SP1 for Windows free of charge, but the Mac version remained a paid software. The equivalent version for Mac, version 7, was the final version of Virtual PC for Mac.
The OP only mentioned "Microsoft Virtual PC 7", which must be this final version from 2004.
mpack wrote:The article also doesn't mention how a PowerPC runs x86 code. I assume there must have been a CPU emulation feature which was stripped out for the Windows port.
Correct. It's a bit hidden in the Wikipedia article:
Windows Virtual PC - Emulated environment section wrote:Implementation:
* The Macintosh version of Virtual PC uses dynamic recompilation to translate the x86 code used by PCs into equivalent PowerPC code for Macs.
* The Windows version of Virtual PC also uses dynamic recompilation, but only to translate x86 kernel mode and real mode code into x86 user mode code; original user mode and virtual 8086 mode code run natively.
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Been away from active involvement in the forum for a long time, but here's the core MS information on Virtual PC for Mac: https://news.microsoft.com/2004/10/05/i ... -your-mac/

As far as I remember, the software was only ever designed to enable the virtualisation of WindowsXP and Windows 2000 on the Power PC platform, primarily to enable Mac PowerPC users to be able to run MS Windows software applications. It included emulation of an x86 CPU but did not support the virtualisation of any other OS; and certainly not 'Linux', i.e. MS was only interested in directly exploiting a perceived business opportunity and promoting the use (market domination) of MS Office etc.