unexpected shutdown of virtualbox vm

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MacUser2022

unexpected shutdown of virtualbox vm

Post by MacUser2022 »

Hello everybody.

since today (obviously when needed) every VM that I try to open fails with this error "unexpected shutdown of virtualbox vm" (translated from Italian, I'll add a screeshot).

Everything was working fine since I installed a VPN software.

I Googled and I tried to disable network to see if it helps but I had no results... Anyway no VMs are working, so the problem should be general of virtual box.

I'm panicking because I need to access my VMs soon. Any help is really appreciated.

Many thanks
Attachments
vbvm.jpg
vbvm.jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: unexpected shutdown of virtualbox vm

Post by mpack »

Pick one of the VMs, and provide a VM log for it. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
MacUser2022

Post by MacUser2022 »

I found a workaround: If I start Virtualbox with a different user (Root, or a new one) it works with new VMs (but obviously I can't see the VMs I need). So I think it should be a problem of permits.

Anyway I'll add the log of a VM that I just tried to start and crashed.
Attachments
mnt.log.zip
(17.05 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

MacUser2022 wrote: Anyway I'll add the log of a VM that I just tried to start and crashed.
Unfortunately that log is not complete, and completely omits the relevant portion where a crash would be. So either the crash truncated the log or the log was grabbed before VirtualBox was closed down.

The portion that exists does however show a VM whose configuration is not optimal. Increase vCPUs to 2, and increase graphics RAM to 128MB. Enable 3D acceleration if you intend to use higher graphics display sizes (full HD or better).