VirtualBox Installation Problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
oneofdem

VirtualBox Installation Problem

Post by oneofdem »

Hello,
I am currently trying to install the VirtualBox application on my Mac, and at the end of installation, an "installation failed" text pops up, with no apparent reason. What could possibly be the problem? The screenshot with the problem is attached.
Thank you!
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 18.36.06-min-min-min.png
Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 18.36.06-min-min-min.png (39.08 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox Installation Problem

Post by mpack »

That doesn't look like an error dialog. That looks like a message that pops up in the OS after some app installer has returned a fail code - and I'd expect the installer to have shown its own more detailed error message.

Do you have an M1 Mac? VirtualBox is an x86 hypervisor and therefore requires an x86 CPU.
oneofdem

Post by oneofdem »

mpack wrote:That doesn't look like an error dialog. That looks like a message that pops up in the OS after some app installer has returned a fail code - and I'd expect the installer to have shown its own more detailed error message.

Do you have an M1 Mac? VirtualBox is an x86 hypervisor and therefore requires an x86 CPU.
Yep, it is M1 Mac.. Thank you so much for the reply, I have read now that VirtualBox isn't and won't be supported by the M1 Macs. Will look into similar applications.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

oneofdem wrote:Will look into similar applications.
If what you are looking for is an ability to run modern x86 Windows apps on an M1 Mac, then all "similar apps" will run into the same fundamental obstacle: an M1 is not an x86. Also CPU emulation is several orders of magnitude slower than a hypervisor.

For a full discussion of the issues, see ARM Macs: Will VirtualBox ever be ported?.