installing guestadditions on windows 98

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MooseGoose

installing guestadditions on windows 98

Post by MooseGoose »

Hi! Would really appreciate help with this.

Have a Windows 98 virtual machine that was setup by someone else. I have just updated VB to 6.1.34, and it seems that I no longer have guest additions, and have been struggling to work out how to install it. I was using guest additions so I could have a shared folder between the vm and my computer (to share files), so if there is another way I can achieve this... that would also be great. Have had a look at some manuals and forum posts, but haven't managed to find anything that solved my problem yet.

Really want to be able to get this set up again, would be super grateful for pointers!

- Abe
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: installing guestadditions on windows 98

Post by scottgus1 »

MooseGoose wrote: I have just updated VB to 6.1.34, and it seems that I no longer have guest additions,
Guest Additions are an "app" installed in the VM's OS. Like other apps in the VM, they don't disappear because the host Virtualbox was upgraded. Do you really mean that a feature you used to rely on is now not working anymore? Or do you man that your host Virtualbox does not seem to be able to find the Guest Additions ISO?
MooseGoose wrote:I was using guest additions so I could have a shared folder between the vm and my computer (to share files)
Hmm. That's a puzzle, because Guest Additions were never released for Windows 98, or for any W9x version, see https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes.

But see our tutorial on 9x VMs: Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes. You might have had a real shared folder running.

Also, in the 3rd-party apps forum, 'javispedro' has made a new Guest-Additions-like add-in for DOS, it might help in 98. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=105394 These are very new, though, so it is very unlikely you had these in your old VM.