Guest Additions not working properly on Ubuntu 22.04 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
serendipity

Guest Additions not working properly on Ubuntu 22.04 guest

Post by serendipity »

I have a working Ubuntu 22.04 LTS guest on my Mojave 10.14.6 Mac host, using VirtualBox 6. 1. 32.

I have installed Guest Additions also and it works at least partially since I am now able to use Shared Folders.
On the other hand, the UI that should come with the GA is defective, as shown in the image below :

- The background image does not automatically resize along with the window
- I am unable to drag the terminal window with the mouse. Which, in turn, deprives me of any access to the UI items on the rightmost part of the terminal window (in particular I don't have access to the "close" button).
unsized-min.png
unsized-min.png (49.17 KiB) Viewed 35754 times
Here goes the VirtualBox log :
vlog.txt.zip
(19.81 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Last edited by mpack on 1. Jun 2022, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change "host" to "guest" in topic title. Ubuntu is the guest.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest Additions not working properly on Ubuntu 22.04 host

Post by mpack »

I would reduce VM RAM to 3072MB (your host can't afford 4.1GB).

Increase CPU cores to 2.

Install updated Guest Additions: v6.0.0 GAs are not adequate for VirtualBox 6.1.34 (I pointed this out already, in your last topic).

Enable 3D acceleration and increase graphics RAM to 256MB.

In future, please make sure that the VM is closed before grabbing the log, since the log will be incomplete until flushed on closing.
serendipity

Post by serendipity »

mpack wrote:I would reduce VM RAM to 3072MB (your host can't afford 4.1GB).

Increase CPU cores to 2.

Enable 3D acceleration
Done.
mpack wrote: Increase graphics RAM to 256MB.
It seems that the maximum is 128MB on my machine :
max_128.png
max_128.png (60.15 KiB) Viewed 35689 times
mpack wrote: Install updated Guest Additions: v6.0.0 GAS is not adequate for VirtualBox 6.1.34
So I have a v6.1.32 GAS virtual CD on my guest as shown in the image below, and in theory all I need to do to click on the upper rightmost button (which will launch the autorun.sh script). Unfortunately that button is hidden in my UI.

I suppose there is a workaround by doing it from the command line, but I don't know in which subdirectory the CD is located (I looked in /dev/, /media/ and /boot/ and did not find the CD in any of those).
newer_ga-min.png
newer_ga-min.png (40.91 KiB) Viewed 35689 times
Latest log :
v.log.zip
(32.58 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The CD is shown in the panel on the left. In some Linux shells if you right click that CD then "Show in Terminal" is an option on the menu.
serendipity

Post by serendipity »

mpack wrote:The CD is shown in the panel on the left. In some Linux shells if you right click that CD then "Show in Terminal" is an option on the menu.
Not on mine, unfortunately :? : the-right click menu only consists of New Window, Unmount, Eject.
I also found I can drag and drop the CD icon from the left panel into an open terminal, but this action has no effect as far as I can see.
serendipity

Post by serendipity »

UPDATE : I eventually found out that the disk is located at /opt/VBoxGuest-Additions-6.1.32.
But my troubles are far from over, as the terminal is currently inamovible and partially hidden and I cannot find the `autorun.sh` anywhere (note : the commands I typed in the snapshot below are `cd /opt/VBoxGuest-Additions-6.1.32`, `ls *.sh`, `ls */*.sh`, `ls */*/*.sh`, in that order.
Attachments
trojan-min.png
trojan-min.png (40.5 KiB) Viewed 35661 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Try a right-click on the folder named cert and choose a command like Open in Terminal. In the terminal, use cd .. to go one layer up, then sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run.

Another handy trick: At the command prompt, press and hold the spacebar until the cursor wraps around into the next line, then you can see the commands you type. ;)
serendipity

Post by serendipity »

fth0 wrote: Another handy trick: At the command prompt, press and hold the spacebar until the cursor wraps around into the next line, then you can see the commands you type. ;)
That's handy indeed ! Thanks.
fth0 wrote:Try a right-click on the folder named cert and choose a command like Open in Terminal. In the terminal, use cd .. to go one layer up, then sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run.
Unfortunately, unlike the icons in the panels, the folders like cert in the window are unresponsive to a right-click :( I suppose this is because the GAs are not yet installed :cry:
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Open a terminal and try the following commands:

Code: Select all

cd /media/anjeladuval/VBox_GAs_6.1.34
sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
FWIW, the folder /opt/VBoxGuest-Additions-6.1.32 is the location of the already installed GA, not the DVD image.
serendipity

Post by serendipity »

fth0 wrote:Open a terminal and try the following commands:

Code: Select all

cd /media/anjeladuval/VBox_GAs_6.1.34
sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
Thanks, I did just that, and got no error message as far as I can tell.
But when I restarted the guest, the GUI is as broken as it was before. What now ?

Here is the latest log if it helps :
w.log.zip
(33.77 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

serendipity wrote:Here is the latest log if it helps
It did help to show two things: You successfully installed the GA 6.1.32 (matching the VirtualBox 6.1.32 installation on the host). And you did not increase Display > Screen > Video Memory to 128 MB. ;)
serendipity

Post by serendipity »

fth0 wrote:
serendipity wrote:Here is the latest log if it helps
It did help to show two things: You successfully installed the GA 6.1.32 (matching the VirtualBox 6.1.32 installation on the host). And you did not increase Display > Screen > Video Memory to 128 MB. ;)
Indeed, I must have forgotten to click "OK" to enforce the changes.
Fixed now as you can check in the yet newer log below.
But after reboot, the GUI is still as broken as before :x . What now ?

Latest log :
u.log.zip
(32.62 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Try VM runs with Display > Screen > 3D Acceleration enabled and disabled, and for each run, use the VM window's View menu to switch between different window sizes (and perhaps switch to Full-screen Mode and back). What do you discover?
serendipity

Post by serendipity »

fth0 wrote:Try VM runs with Display > Screen > 3D Acceleration enabled and disabled, and for each run, use the VM window's View menu to switch between different window sizes (and perhaps switch to Full-screen Mode and back). What do you discover?
Not much. All those modes (Fullscreen, seamless, scaled) work as expected, except that the fundamental problem stays the same in all modes : the background jellyfish image never resizes, the terminal is partially hidden and unmovable, etc. Enabling or disable-ing 3D Acceleration seems to change nothing in that regard.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Since the menu bar on the top and the launcher bar on the left use the full window's width and height, and changing 3D Acceleration also doesn't make a difference, I'm slowly getting the impression that the problem perhaps isn't related to VirtualBox at all.
serendipity wrote:All those modes (Fullscreen, seamless, scaled) work as expected, except that the fundamental problem stays the same in all modes : the background jellyfish image never resizes, the terminal is partially hidden and unmovable, etc.
What size does the background image have?

BTW, can you move the terminal window with the appropriate keyboard commands? The mouse is a handy tool, but usually not necessary at all. ;)