[Solved] Shared Folder not working properly in Ubuntu 22.04 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
serendipity

[Solved] Shared Folder not working properly in Ubuntu 22.04 guest

Post by serendipity »

Four years ago, I had trouble with Guest additions & Shared Folders an Ubuntu guest on my High Sierra Mac, and I asked around a dozen of topics about this issues in this forum.

Today, with a newer MacOS and a more recent Ubuntu, I am encountering similar but distinct problems, and the older (and useful) advice I got here no longer seems to apply, hence this new topic.

I have a working Ubuntu 22.04 LTS guest on my Mojave 10.14.6 Mac host. I have also successfully installed Guest Additions (in the guest shell, the command

Code: Select all

lsmod |grep vboxguest
returns

vboxguest 45056 7 vboxsf 
which is of the expected form).

In the VirtualBox "Shared Folders" menu dialog, I have also defined one item, with "Access" set to "Full", "AutoMount" to "Yes" and left the "At" field blank.

So, after rebooting my guest, my Shared Folder should now be ready to use, right ?
Well, no.

What happens in the guest is this : there is indeed a `/media/sf_downloads` directory present as it should, but

ls /media/sf_downloads
returns an empty result, when there are actually several files in the host `Downloads` directory.
Last edited by serendipity on 27. Apr 2022, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Shared Folder not working properly in Ubuntu 22.04 guest

Post by mpack »

The host OS has little or no relevance for GA shared folders. All that matters is: install the correct version of GAs, then configure the guest OS properly.

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
serendipity

Post by serendipity »

mpack wrote:The host OS has little or no relevance for GA shared folders. All that matters is: install the correct version of GAs, then configure the guest OS properly.

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Thanks for your help. Here is the zip file :
Ubuntu_vbox-2022-04-24-15-57-15.log.zip
Compressed log file
(29.63 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
mpack wrote:save "VBox.log" (no other file)
In my UI there are four tabs, titled "VBox.log", "VBox.log.1", "VBox.log.2", "VBox.log.3". I interpret your words to mean that only the first tab needs to be copied to a file and then compressed (which is what I did).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

00:00:02.295576 VirtualBox VM 6.1.16 r140961 darwin.amd64 (Oct 16 2020 12:30:37) release log
00:00:27.114549 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.0 r127566 '6.0.0'
Your host software is old and your GAs are positively ancient. Let's see what happens when both are bought up to date.
serendipity

Post by serendipity »

mpack wrote: Your host software is old and your GAs are positively ancient. Let's see what happens when both are bought up to date.
Indeed, now that I have updated both I'm encountering a rather different problem, so I mark this topic as solved. Thanks