Raspbian disk space extension fails

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Hlech65730
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Raspbian Buster, Windows 10

Raspbian disk space extension fails

Post by Hlech65730 »

Hello @ all,

i installed a VB with Raspbian Buster, initialy with 8 GByte, but now Raspbian needs more space to update. I found a recommendation how to increase the VDI of the VB. Now VB shows : virtual size 16 GByte, real size 6,99 GByte , stored : dynamic. Unfortunately in the raspi-config the entry for space extension is deleted ! I don't know how to extend the Raspbian now. Can somebody help me ? Thank You very much.

Regards, Hlech65730
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Raspbian disk space extension fails

Post by scottgus1 »

Hlech65730 wrote:I found a recommendation how to increase the VDI of the VB virtual disk.
If the place you found was How to Resize a Drive, then the second tutorialed step after resizing the virtual drive file in Virtualbox is to resize the partitions inside the VM's OS.
Hlech65730 wrote:in the raspi-config the entry for space extension is deleted !
I'm not certain what this means. But extending partitions inside the VM's OS is a part of that OS's functions, and should be done using that OS's help channels. So you'd do best to ask Raspberry for help extending the partition. (FWIW you might try booting the VM with a Gparted boot ISO. The partitions might be adjustable there.)