Latest supported VirtualBox (And Extension Pack) on MacOSX Yosemite

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
operation420.net
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Latest supported VirtualBox (And Extension Pack) on MacOSX Yosemite

Post by operation420.net »

I have a friend with a Macbook running MacOSX Yosemite. I was able to install the latest VirtualBox (didn't try to create/run a VM yet) and get errors when trying to install the guest additions. I assume the latest VBox doesn't support Yosemite. Which would be the best version of VBox to install on this laptop?

Thanks.

Code: Select all

Failed to load the main module ('/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib'): VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND - dlopen(/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib, 6): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib: code signature invalid for '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib'

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface:
IExtPackManager {70401eef-c8e9-466b-9660-45cb3e9979e4}
Last edited by operation420.net on 12. Apr 2022, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?t=8208
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Latest supported VirtualBox (And Guest Additions) on MacOSX Yosemite

Post by scottgus1 »

operation420.net wrote:trying to install the guest additions
operation420.net wrote:('/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib'): VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND -
Guest Additions != Extension Pack.

Guest Additions are a bundled .iso CD image, they load in the VM's CD drive, and the get installed in the VMs, the 'guests'.

Extension Pack, a separate download, gets installed in the main Virtualbox app on the host. The displayed error shows that an expected file in the Extension Pack is missing for some reason.

You should be able to uninstall the existing Extension Pack in the main Virtualbox window, File menu, Preferences, Extensions. Then install the Extension Pack matching the Virtualbox version you have installed. Fresh-download the EP from
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads.

We'd have to let a Mac guru speak on this:
operation420.net wrote:I assume the latest VBox doesn't support Yosemite.
But the above error is not consistent with incompatibility yet.
operation420.net

Re: Latest supported VirtualBox (And Guest Additions) on MacOSX Yosemite

Sorry I meant to say Extension Pack...
viewtopic.php?t=8208
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Latest supported VirtualBox (And Extension Pack) on MacOSX Yosemite

Post by fth0 »

I wrote a short summary about the technical background of this problem almost two years ago: SHA256 signatures and macOS < 10.12.

In consequence, the VirtualBox Extension Pack versions 6.1.2 and 6.0.16 are the newest that can be installed on OS X Yosemite. Note that the VirtualBox Extension Pack version usually has to match the VirtualBox version, and note also, that you may be limited to guest OSes from January 2020 or earlier.
operation420.net

Would it be possible to install a recent enough version of Window 10 that could run the latest browsers (unlike the host OS)?
operation420.net wrote:I assume the latest VBox doesn't support Yosemite.
Not VirtualBox or the Ext Pack, but the hash algorithm for the signing of the EP. My assumption the error had something to do with older MacOS was correct...
viewtopic.php?t=8208
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

I think you can only resort to "trial and error". For Linux guests, it wouldn't work because of unsupported newer Linux kernels. Since security is probably no issue when using an obsolete host OS, using obsolete VirtualBox versions won't hurt either. ;)
operation420.net

They are not a tech savy as me, security might be an issue(and to get rid of messages from sites saying their browser is insecure). She has an old laptop and doesn't wanna buy another one. Maybe putting her on Windoze isn't the best idea?

Her MacBook as 4GB RAM, it says using ~2.76 GB RAM used when running just the OS (dunno if there's unneeded background stuff that can be stopped). So I only gave the VM so much memory (I cannot check, she has her laptop), maybe that's why I get BSOD on the Windows Installer.

I was thinking Linux, but what you said about the kernel...
viewtopic.php?t=8208
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

The MacBook barely has enough memory to run the host OS and one large application (like VirtualBox) running on the host OS. You'll probably be lucky if a Windows 10 VM can run at all. And the common browsers are large applications, too. So the prospects aren't really good.
operation420.net

fth0 wrote:The MacBook barely has enough memory to run the host OS and one large application (like VirtualBox) running on the host OS. You'll probably be lucky if a Windows 10 VM can run at all. And the common browsers are large applications, too. So the prospects aren't really good.
I have run VMs on laptop w/ 4GB ram. 2.76GB still seems high for just the OS.

https://www.minitool.com/news/windows-1 ... s-009.html The 32 Bit version of Win10 only requires 1GB RAM, bringing it to 3.76, more if the video card has no VRAM and uses the system RAM.
If you are using the 32-bit version of Windows 10, 1GB RAM is the minimum requirement. However, 1GB RAM is not recommended for a Windows 10 computer. If a Windows 10 PC only has a 1GB RAM, users may only be able to browse web pages/emails, use office word/excel, conduct light image editing, and some other basic operations.
That's all she need to do.

I thought 4GB RAM would be enough, but there might be more I don't know to consider...
viewtopic.php?t=8208