Adding .vdi file crashes macOS host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
jackk100

Adding .vdi file crashes macOS host

Post by jackk100 »

I've been attempting to move the .vdi file for a VM from one folder to another on the same internal SSD drive. I did the following:

1. VM > Settings > Storage > Controller: SATA > remove vdi
2. Virtual Media Manager > select vdi > right click > remove
3. Quit VirtualBox GUI
4. Copy vdi file from one folder to another
5. Open GUI > Virtual Media Manager
6. Clock Add icon > find copied file > click Open
7. At this point I immediately get the beachball of death and various other functionality in the OS ceases to work: can't open new apps (icons bounce in the dock and apps don't load), can't load a web page in an already loaded browser
8. Eventually (within a few minutes) the OS crashes

I did this same procedure with 2 other vdi's without problem. If it matters, this vdi has Windows 10 64 bit on it, the others were Windows 7 64 bit and Ubuntu latest 64 bit.

I've also tried this command line, with the GUI closed and the same thing happens (beachball, then OS crashes in a few minutes):

VBoxManage storageattach "Windows 10 Pro" --storagectl "SATA" --port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium "/Users/jack/VirtualBox/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro.vdi"

I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and VirtualBox 6.1.32 r149290 (latest). The VM's SATA controller has port count = 2 and VBoxGuestAdditions.iso on Port 1.

Does anyone know how I might be able to solve this problem? The VM is critical for my work and recreating it would take quite a bit of time.

Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Adding .vdi file crashes macOS host

Post by scottgus1 »

This is an unusual situation, especially since you did it twice before successfully. I suspect something deeper than a mere Virtualbox issue. If Virtualbox couldn't reattach the disk it would only pop an error, not crash the whole computer.

Can you put the disk file back where it was and reattach it?
jackk100

Post by jackk100 »

I was able to use the Virtual Media Manager > Add icon to add the file from the original location back to the media manager, then add it to the VM's Storage Controller and run the VM.

Adding it caused the OS to beachball for about 5-7 minutes, during which I was not able to use any apps, but could move the mouse. Past attempts caused the OS to crash after a few minutes. I'm not sure why this attempt succeeded, nor if that duration is normal.

FWIW, when I did the other 2 the system also beachballed, but only for 30-60 seconds.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm no Mac guru, so we'll have to wait for one to come along and troubleshoot further. But I'm glad you're back up and working!

FWIW it is possible to move a whole VM by right-clicking it in the list and choosing Move. It is also possible to move a drive files without all the disconnecting and reconnecting by right-clicking the drive file in the Virtual Media Manager and click Move. Maybe these ways won't 'beachball' the Mac?
jackk100

Post by jackk100 »

I tried this:

1. make a backup copy of my VDI file
2. use Virtual Media Manager to "Move" the (real) VDI
3. got the beachball, then my Mac crashed and restarted
4. checked to see if the VDI file had moved, it had not
5. tried to start the VM, got the beachball, then my Mac crashed and restarted
6. changed the names of the VDI copy and the "real" file so that the copy had the same name as the original
7. tried to start the VM, got the beachball, then my Mac crashed and restarted

Unfortunately, now I'm not able to use the VM at all. I'm going to try some more things, but if anyone has any ideas for things to try, please let me know. I'd rather not take the time to recreate the VM, it'd take many hours. Thanks!