Windows 11 VirtualBox on Mac OS - Only showing a Command Line?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Student7

Windows 11 VirtualBox on Mac OS - Only showing a Command Line?

Post by Student7 »

I am trying to run windows 11 on a VirtualBox on my Mac and went through the steps to create the VM. When I click 'Start' the window that comes up looks like a command line interface with yellow font on a black background, and no windows user interface pops up. Has this happened to anyone else? What kind of setting do I need to change to get Windows to work?

Thank you!
Windows11 VM Issue.jpg
Windows11 VM Issue.jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 11 VirtualBox on Mac OS - Only showing a Command Line?

Post by scottgus1 »

You need a Windows 11 ISO. The VM should automatically find the ISO, boot from it, and start the installer.

If for some reason the ISO gets skipped, type exit at that command prompt, and a black-on-gray BIOS-like boot menu will appear, which will allow you to boot from the ISO.

You should note and research Windows 11's need for a TPM, and the workarounds needed for running 11 in so-far-TPM-less Virtualbox. When 7.0 comes out, Virtualbox will have a TPM.
Student7

Post by Student7 »

Thank you Scott!

Using "exit" and passing through the boot manager got me further. Unfortunately as I tried to set up the windows 11 environment I got the error that "This PC cannot support /run Windows 11" based on not fulfilling system requirements. I will try another windows emulator I suppose. I have been hoping to stay away from paid software as I just need to run some windows programs for a class for the next few weeks, but I might need to bite the bullet just to get this to work.

Any suggestions are welcome!
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Google for how to install Windows 11 on older PCs. Do the same for the VM.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Student7 wrote:I just need to run some windows programs for a class for the next few weeks
Also consider using Windows 10 if allowed. 10 does not have the TPM etc requirements that 11 has, and 10 can install under Legacy non-EFI BIOS.