XP won't boot on mac osx 10.14.3 with any version of VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
translator1

XP won't boot on mac osx 10.14.3 with any version of VirtualBox

Post by translator1 »

hi, i've just bought a new mac computer running mojave 10.14.3, and i'm trying to run windows xp on it in VirtualBox. it works perfectly in my previous computer, which is mac os x high sierra 10.13.6, with VirtualBox version 5.0.32. i tried exporting the machine to OVF, tried sending over the VDI, nothing works; Windows won't start and i get this blue screen:
ibb (dot) co (slash) hdKJfmF

the machine DOES start in safe mode...
Does anyone have any idea why this could be ?
thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: XP won't boot on mac osx 10.14.3 with any version of VirtualBox

Post by scottgus1 »

Pictures can be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab on the first day first post. Please do this for your picture, or type the text of what the picture says. If the error is a Guru Meditation, please post a VM log:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Note that since your old and new hosts are both Virtualbox, you can simply copy the whole VM folder from old host to new, not exporting or copying only the vdi and building a new VM around it. Copying the whole folder brings the .vbox file too, which is the VM's "motherboard and peripherals", and allows the exact same VM to exist on multiple hosts with no changes. OVF and only-vdi make changes to the VM which can deactivate software or cause BSODs if the new VM isn't built same as the old one.

You might try copying the whole VM folder before bothering to troubleshoot the VM you have now. Use the main Virtualbox window's Machine menu Add function to register the copied .vbox file. Note that the existing VM cannot be named the same as the copied folder VM or the copied folder .vbox file won't register.
translator1

Post by translator1 »

thank you for your reply! i did try copying the whole folder; no luck.
I did a fresh install of XP on the computer and it seems to be working ok, of course now i can't get the internet to work...
also, VirtualBox quits unexpectedly whenever i power off the virtual machine, which is weird...
i tried to install the same version of VirtualBox that i am using on my other computer (5.0.32) but it doesn't work on the new computer, gives me a vboxdrv.kext not compatible error. what would be the first stable version that works with my OS?

then when i try again to open the original PC, i get this:
Failed to open virtual machine located in /Users/user/Downloads/PC/PC.vbox.

Cannot register the DVD image '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' {fac61194-a0b2-4dae-bdf4-d821f774951a} because a CD/DVD image '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' with UUID {cc9e93d8-b248-4eda-9a33-8e54750950d1} already exists.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057)
Component: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Let's apply One issue per thread and use this topic to address the error occurring in the unposted screenshot from exporting/vdi-copying the original VM to the new host. Please open new topics about the new error on the old host, the unexpected Virtualbox quit, and the version question.

If the first copy of the VM from the export or vdi-copy still exists, let's see that error screenshot.