[Solved] File copy/paste not working between MacOS (Host) and Windows 10 (Guest) v6.1.32

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
enesdemir

[Solved] File copy/paste not working between MacOS (Host) and Windows 10 (Guest) v6.1.32

Post by enesdemir »

Hi forum,

I have Windows 10 VM in Virtualbox. I installed Guest Additions and full screen is working good. But copy/paste is not working between host and guest. Also i enabled Shared Clipboard as Bidirectional and tried all options but no luck. Also tried Drag n Drop and it is also not working at all. I stuck here. Any ideas?

Note: Text copy/paste and full screen is working.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by enesdemir on 29. Mar 2022, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.
enesdemir

Re: File copy/paste not working between MacOS (Host) and Windows 10 (Guest) v6.1.32

Post by enesdemir »

anyone?
Last edited by enesdemir on 29. Mar 2022, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Copy/paste not working between MacOS (Host) and Windows 10 (Guest) v6.1.32

Post by mpack »

There has been lots of discussion of copy/paste before.

What are you trying to copy? It is only intended to work for simple text and graphics. E.g. not files, not spreadsheet data.

Also, one discussion per topic please. The topic title says copy/paste so I will not discuss full screen or drag/drop here.

If you want to copy files into and out of a VM then the most reliable method is Shared Folders.
enesdemir

Post by enesdemir »

Yes. Topic says copy/paste not working but i wrote the details in the thread. Text copy is working good good but file copy and drag n drop is not working. If you can't discuss drag n drop i can create another thread for this but you already said one thread for one topic i am :oops:
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As I mentioned, the clipboard has never been intended for files.

Drag and drop is different - the feature can work but for many it is just buggy and prone to failure. Getting this to work reliably across every possible combination of guest and host OS just isn't an easy thing to do - and I don't expect the devs to fix this any time soon. It might be different if it was commercial software and they could afford a bigger team.

In the meantime... For a reliable way to move files, stick to shared folders. That is made to resemble a simple network share, a concept that has existed in very similar forms in all OS's of the last 20 years or so.
enesdemir

Post by enesdemir »

Issue is solved by using Shared Folders.
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] File copy/paste not working between MacOS (Host) and Windows 10 (Guest) v6.1.32

Post by mpack »

I hesitate to call the problem "solved", as what you have is a workaround, not what I'd regard as a solution to anything.

OTOH the title talks about file copy/paste and that can never be solved because it was never a problem: file copy/paste has never been supported.

However I'll leave the [Solved] tag alone - indicating "not really a problem".