Can not import Windows 10 VM on MacOS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
enesdemir

Can not import Windows 10 VM on MacOS

Post by enesdemir »

Hi all,

Hope you are fine. I had 3 VMs in my Vmware Workstation. Debian, Centos and Windows 10. I converted all my VMs (Vmware Workstation) to .ovf via Ovftool. After i converted i deleted Vmware Workstation VMs. Now i have only .ovf VMs. I imported Centos and Debian VMs successfully but i encountered an error while importing Windows 10 VM.

The error:

Code: Select all

Error reading "/Users/110615/Desktop/Windows 10/Windows 10 Pro.ovf": Host resource of type "Other Storage Device (20)" is supported with SATA AHCI controllers only, line 47 (subtype:vmware.nvme.controller).

Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004) Component: ApplianceWrap Interface: IAppliance {86a98347-7619-41aa-aece-b21ac5c1a7e6}
I did some research and found some people saying change all "ElementName" to "Caption" and i did and changed "vmware.sata.ahci" to "AHCI" and changed SHA256 info from .mf file but i am still getting same error above.

I couldn't find the solution from the internet. If possible could you please help me about this issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can not import Windows 10 VM on MacOS

Post by scottgus1 »

Sounds like the VM's disk is on a controller that Virtualbox does not know how to interpret. Try making a basic VM in Windows with the drive on either the SATA controller or Virtualbox's NVME controller, then export the VM. That export's OVF should show what Virtualbox expects to see in the failing VM's OVF.
enesdemir

Post by enesdemir »

scottgus1 wrote:Sounds like the VM's disk is on a controller that Virtualbox does not know how to interpret. Try making a basic VM in Windows with the drive on either the SATA controller or Virtualbox's NVME controller, then export the VM. That export's OVF should show what Virtualbox expects to see in the failing VM's OVF.
Firstable thank you for your reply dear moderator "but" i couldn't figure out what should i do completely..

Now i will import my current .ovf in Windows Virtualbox and then i will change SATA controller to NVME and export VM with OVF, right?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

enesdemir wrote:i couldn't figure out what should i do completely..
No problem. In the main Virtualbox window, click on New. Run through the wizard to make a Windows 10 VM with a new vdi disk file. Once the wizard completes, you'll have a new Windows 10 VM in the VM list. No need to actually install 10 in the new VM. Now right-click that VM and export it. Once the export completes, the OVF will show how Virtualbox labels its SATA controller in the OVF standard format. Snice you're able to edit the OVF file for the VMware VM, you can copy the SATA controller code into the VMware OVF. This should put the VMware Windows 10's disk file on a SATA controller instead of the faulting NVME controller. Try to import the edited VMware OVF. If it imports, try to run the VM. If it works, then you're done.

If the VM imports but the VM does not boot (perhaps because there's something special about the NVME controller) you could edit the new VM you made with the wizard to add an NVME controller then move its disk file from the default SATA to the new NVME. Then try the export and VMware OVF edit again.

Please note that this concept is all theoretical; I haven't had the need to try it myself, so I'm not skilled enough to walk you further through the steps.
enesdemir wrote:I converted all my VMs (Vmware Workstation) to .ovf via Ovftool. After i converted i deleted Vmware Workstation VMs.
Though it amounts to locking the barn door after the horse has escaped, I'd suggest in the future to not delete the good source until the new destination is tested working. Upon seeing the Virtualbox error, you could have moved the 10 VMware VM's drive file from NVME to SATA, confirm that it worked on SATA, then export. Also, Virtualbox can use VMware vmdk format drives directly without conversion, so you could have disconnected the drives from the VMware VMs, export/import the VMs via very tiny OVAs, then reattach the drive files in Virtualbox. Just some thoughts for future projects.
enesdemir

Post by enesdemir »

I did all steps but didn't work. I decided to delete VM and make all things from the scratch. I had to do this quickly because that VM was my testing machine. Now i have another problem copy/paste. I will create another thread about this. Thank you so much for your hard work and effort. Appreciated!