How to change the hot key with OS X host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Roscoe

How to change the hot key with OS X host

Post by Roscoe »

My host OS is OS X 10.5.x. My Guest OS is Windows XP Pro running in VirtualBox 2.0.2. The default Host key is Left Command. I want to change it to Right Command. The User Guide tells me I can change this by '..selecting "Global Settings" in the "File" menu in the VirtualBox main window...'

However, when I click on the File menu, the only thing there in the dropdown box is "Virtual Disk Manager".

What do I do?
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

Select "Preferences" in the "VirtualBox" Menu, which is to the left side of the file menu. There you can change the host key in the "Input" section.
cloudberry
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: How to change the hot key with OS X host

Post by cloudberry »

I have the same problem, no "file -> global settings." When changing the host key under "preferences -> input", one has to simply press the key one wants to use to effect a change.

And on a similar note: the settings button for my vm is disabled, does that have anything to do with the missing "global settings"? how does one change the settings for a vm?

I am brand new to the vm world, btw, so please respond without jargon. :)
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

If the guest is active (running or suspended) the settings area will be grayed out. You must shutdown the guest to be able to change the settings.
As for the global settings they are stored in the .VirtualBox folder and called .VirtualBox.xml. If this file/folder were non-existent VBox would not work.
The global settings are adjustable in the preference area under file (top left) in the VBox GUI.
cloudberry
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by cloudberry »

Ah! I was using the "save state" option when closing my machine, shutting down windows and closing activates "settings". Thank you! :D

Also, I was trying to change my host key because I do not have a mouse and would like to be able to right-click. But changing the key merely changes the method of right-clicking within the vm and is thus ineffective (because it still uncaptures the cursor). Any suggestions, short of obtaining a mouse?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

In windows you use the tab key to move to the section you need. Once there it will turn blue, then hit the key you want and tab to the OK button. I do not have a MAC right at the moment but it should be the same or close to it.
jsdza

Post by jsdza »

cloudberry wrote:I do not have a mouse and would like to be able to right-click.
Have you tried Shift+F10? That's usually the same as a right click on the focused UI element.