Is their a workaround for Vbox audio crashing issues with Win 10 guest?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Nick is not my name

Is their a workaround for Vbox audio crashing issues with Win 10 guest?

Post by Nick is not my name »

Hi.
It appears that a few of us or more are having issues with the VM guest machine crashing when audio input is checked in Vbox preference and attempting to open any apps that use sound. I was wondering if their was any virtual software or something that can enable us to input audio into the guest machine without using a physical USB interface? Anything over the internet possibly? Something that could get us through until the next update that will hopefully fix the problem. Preferably not a paid app. I have tried OBS and NDI and it seems that I can only output sound, but not input it.

Oh! My second question: If audio in is not checked in preferences does that mean no audio can be live streamed into the guests from the host machine?

I am using:
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6.
Vbox 6.1.30

Thanks.
Nick Is Not My Name
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Is their a workaround for Vbox audio crashing issues with Win 10 guest?

Post by granada29 »

I was able to reproduce this crash on macOS Monterey with VirtualBox 6.1.30 using a Windows 10 guest.

Audio playback was fine, but there was a crash as soon as I touched the microphone in the guest.

I have submitted a bug report: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20773

The bug report includes a VirtualBox log for the session plus the VirtualBoxVM crashdump that was generated by the crash.

It appears from the crashdump that VirtualBoxVM does not have permission to access the host microphone and there is no way to add it to the list of applications in System Preferences->Security&Privacy. Hopefully the developers will see the ticket and some fix will be forthcoming.
Nick is not my name

Re: Is their a workaround for Vbox audio crashing issues with Win 10 guest?

Post by Nick is not my name »

Thanks granada 29 for recreating it on your end and submitting a ticket. I tried to submit a ticket, but I got overwhelmed at the site. Like you say, hopefully the developers will see your ticket and fix the issue. Other than that sound issue I am really enjoying Vbox.

Thanks,
Nick Is Not My Name