uninstall kext files on my mac

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
paolopa

uninstall kext files on my mac

Post by paolopa »

Hello everyone, I had installed VB on the 2017 macbookpro 15 laptop, I have Catalina, after some tests and reading the various posts, as it did not work well and had some problems, I decided to uninstall it using the file that is in the dgm. It seems that I have uninstalled everything, but, the kext files remain in the system that cannot be uninstalled in any way due to lack of permissions, I tried to change and authorize 'administrator' but it does not accept anything. It is truly incredible that this happens. After winning to uninstall, the message appears on the terminal that even the kext files have been deleted but this is not the case. Does anyone know the procedure to delete those files?
I accept any suggestions.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: uninstall kext files on my mac

Post by scottgus1 »

I personally don't know, myself. But this sounds like the host OS did not let go of the files when the Virtualbox installer requested their deletion. Meaning the problem is with the host OS not Virtualbox.

Keep in mind that during uninstall, Virtualbox is not running, it's the installer that is running. On Windows, the installer is a Microsoft program carrying the Virtualbox payload. When a Windows host Virtualbox install or uninstall fails, it is the Microsoft program or the Windows MSI database that have failed. And the fix involves fixing Windows.

If Mac OS has a similar setup, then it's an Apple program carrying a Virtualbox payload, and the Apple program and/or OS have failed, not Virtualbox. The fix would involve fixing the Mac OS.

Web-search how to remove undeleted kexts from Mac OS. That will probably show you how to remove these kexts.