[Monterey - 6.1.30 r148432] Can't install the extension pack

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Epithumia

[Monterey - 6.1.30 r148432] Can't install the extension pack

Post by Epithumia »

When trying to upgrade/install the current version of the oracle VM Extension pack (both through the built-in update dialog and from downloading from the download page), installation fails with the following error:

Code: Select all

VBoxExtPackRegister returned VERR_VERSION_MISMATCH, pReg=0000000000000000 ErrInfo='Helper version mismatch - expected 0x3 got 0x30000'.

Code d'erreur : 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Composant : 
ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface : 
IExtPackManager {70401eef-c8e9-466b-9660-45cb3e9979e4}
The extension is then marked with a red mark in the preferences->extensions list.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: [Monterey - 6.1.30 r148432] Can't install the extension pack

Post by scottgus1 »

The Extension Pack version must match the installed Virtualbox version.
Epithumia wrote:the current version of the oracle VM Extension pack
This designation will be out of date when the next version becomes available.

What version of Virtualbox do you have installed, and what version of EP are you downloading?

The EP is installed in the host Virtualbox, not the guest, so this goes in Mac OS Hosts.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, this error message occurs when VirtualBox 6.1.28 or newer tries to initialize a VirtualBox Extension Pack 6.1.26 or older. The background reason is that some internal version numbers have been (half-word order) corrected in VirtualBox 6.1.28.

I know that this error message is shown as a popup when hovering over the red rhombus with white exclamation mark in VirtualBox > Preferences... > Extension. But what are your initial situation and the sequence of events that are you executing, and when does the error message occur in a way that you cannot simply ignore it?
Epithumia

Post by Epithumia »

scottgus1 wrote:What version of Virtualbox do you have installed, and what version of EP are you downloading?
It's in the thread title : Virtualbox 6.1.30 r148432, extension pack comes from the official download page, so 6.1.30 afaik.

Edit: just tried again and now it installs with no error. What I did since my initial message was to actually boot a win10 VM (worked) and checked its configuration (and got a warning in the status area that config was invalid because of usb settings that relied on the extension pack that had failed to install). Now after redoing the grab extension->install, everything is fine.

So I suspect something didn't properly update when I updated virtualbox from 6.1.x -> 6.1.30, and either starting a VM or editing its config cleaned whatever was causing the extension's installation to fail (or to pretend to fail).
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

AFAIU, the error message is the result of VirtualBox initializing an already installed Extension Pack, and it should not prevent the installation of a new Extension Pack. @klaus knows the finer details, but I don't think it's necessary to bother him with that. ;)