After upgrade BigSur 11.6.3 Virtualbox 6.1.30 VM does not work

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
fcapozzi62

After upgrade BigSur 11.6.3 Virtualbox 6.1.30 VM does not work

Post by fcapozzi62 »

Hi all after upgrading to BigSur 11.6.3 any VM on VirtualBox 6.1.30 does not start anymore. This message is reported

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

I follows the suggested procedure, ie : completely remove VirtualBox 6.1.30 with uninstall script, reboot, reinstall VirtualBox, authorise Oracle extension in System Preferences/Security & Privacy, clearing the kext stage and reboot. But no success so far. All my Virtual Machines cannot be started.
I already attempted to manually load the kernel extension with the command sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv, but the system say that a reboot is needed even if i have rebooted many times.

iMac-di-Fabio:~ root# sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=28 "Loading extension(s): org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv requires a reboot" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Loading extension(s): org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv requires a reboot}

I also attempted to install the VirtualBox 6.1.28 but same problem persist.
So for the moment it seems that the with BigSur 11.6.3 VirtualBox is completely broken.

Any hint ?
Best Regards, Fabio.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: After upgrade BigSur 11.6.3 Virtualbox 6.1.30 VM does not work

Post by scottgus1 »

See the "-1908" sticky, and Granada29's instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104589#p509874
fcapozzi62

Post by fcapozzi62 »

Unfortunately i already followed the suggested "granada29" procedure with no luck as you can see in my previous message
I follows the suggested procedure, ie : completely remove VirtualBox 6.1.30 with uninstall script, reboot, reinstall VirtualBox, authorise Oracle extension in System Preferences/Security & Privacy, clearing the kext stage and reboot...
Before upgrading i was using BigSur 11.6.2 and everything was working properly. So the point is ... there is anybody that has VirtualBox working on the new version 11.6.3 ???
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Is macOS 11.6.3 part of the Big Sur beta stream? There is no sign of it for download from the usual places.

I guess Apple may have made more changes to their kext authorization, but until 11.6.3 is released I am unable to assess it.
fcapozzi62

Post by fcapozzi62 »

Yes granada29, you are right, my iMac is part of the BigSur beta stream. I already fired a bug report to Apple using the Feedback Assistant. So may be i am the first to experiment this problem in VirtualBox. I tried to manually load the kext extension after authorised it with this command :
iMac-di-Fabio:~ root# sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=28 "Loading extension(s): org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv requires a reboot" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Loading extension(s): org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv requires a reboot}
but the system asks for a reboot that i've done many times. It seems that after authorising the kext when rebuilding the kext cache some new security feature in 11.6.3 block the load.
If i ask for the list of authorized kext :
iMac-di-Fabio:~ root# spctl kext-consent list
spctl: no kext consent configuration found.
nothing is found and this in my opinion seems very odd. BTW either vmWare Fusion and Parallel Desktop works normally and allows VM launch.
fcapozzi62

Post by fcapozzi62 »

*** UPDATE ***

I solved the issue disabling System Integrity Protection (SIP)
Reboot in Recovery Mode (cmd-R) and open a terminal and disable SIP with

Code: Select all

crsutil disable
Now all VM start normally.
It seems that in the 11.6.3 the virtualbox kexts have not been "notarized"
However this is a workaround and it should be better to have SIP enabled