Many mouse problems inside guest Ubuntu and Mint

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Phil2Nice

Many mouse problems inside guest Ubuntu and Mint

Post by Phil2Nice »

Hello,

i am facing strange mouse problems I don't know how to fix/solve/configure. could you help ?
let me explain:
  • my Host ia a Mac Book with BigSur 11.6.1 and my VirtualBox is 6.1.30 r148432 (Qt5.6.3)
    my VMs Guests are Ubuntu 20.4, Ubuntu 21.04, and MINT 20.02
    mouse moves are fast and ok in VMs,
the issue 1:
  • File finders/explorers/manager applications does not work well and leads to annoying behaviors.
    for example some times a double click does not respond by opening a folder and after that it seems that the application thinks I want to move the folder to some other place. I cannot get rid of that except sometimes again by hitting ESC key on keyboard or by "clicking right" the mouse
    Sometimes this makes the VM hanging for a while.
the issue 2:
  • when I press "right button" on the mouse, the guest receives the message and the file submenu opens for that selected files but as soon as I release the button the sub menu is closed
it s totally impossible to work with this virtualbox
I would appreciate any suggestion/help
Attachments
myHome-2021-12-06-17-28-04.log.zip
(43.03 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by Phil2Nice on 7. Dec 2021, 15:00, edited 4 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Many mouse problems inside guest Ubuntu and Mint

Post by scottgus1 »

Please pick one VM that exhibits this problem.

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Phil2Nice

Post by Phil2Nice »

Hello All, I still have the problem with any kind of usb mouse or either bluetooth mouse connected to the MacBook
it seems that some click or mouse move are lost or are too long to come the Ubuntu / Mint installed in a VM
I have even just installed last version 6.1.34 it is the same problem .... I gave a log .... no body is working on that ???
If I am the only one to have the problem where could be my configuration problem ?
Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

For some reason you provided a log by editing your original post instead of making a new post. When you do that there no notification of a new post, so your query will be lost in the past.

Make sure you are not capturing the host mouse using a USB filter. VirtualBox is a host app, so the host needs to own the keyboard and mouse.
Phil2Nice

Post by Phil2Nice »

Hello all,
The problem is also there on OS Monterey. Nevertheless I have some news for you, it might help for investigation of the problem.

I did connect a very large display on my MacBook with HDMI cable, I don't use anymore view scaling for the VM. Now when I push the vm mint or ubuntu window to this second display, I have no more problem at all ?!?!
Hope it can help, the solution is quite good for me, I can use VirtualBox now
Phil2Nice

Post by Phil2Nice »

Any news or corrections for this problem ? on a MacBook without another display attached to it the problem is still there !
Working with mouse as soon as a scaling factor is not 100%, it is a nightmare
Phil2Nice

Post by Phil2Nice »

I am really sorry for all you, building and working this virtual box for MacBook on OS/X

I got no real answer,
I worked for about 2 years with those problems.
I have just tried Parallels Desktop (licensed) it s working perfectly on MacBook with OS/X and so much faster. So i have decided to pay the license because I am saving my time now.
To much times lost on virtual box for non working versions.

Sorry.
Bye
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sorry we couldn't help, but the reason we couldn't help is that nobody else reported having the same problem. Reproducing the fault - or at least developing a theory as to what makes some people have the problem and others not - is a vital part of fault finding, and hard to do with a single example. If nobody else has the fault then it's nearly impossible to discern the common factors, and in fact we have no reason to believe it even has anything to do with VirtualBox at all. I can see that your VM allocates more than a fair share of available RAM and CPU cores to the guest OS, this can obviously result in poor performance from host processes including VirtualBox (which is a host app, not a guest process).

Also the log had this:
00:00:11.960169 AIOMgr: Host limits number of active IO requests to 16. Expect a performance impact.