Enable Audio Checking Input in VBox manage causes Win 10 guest to crash!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Nick is not my name

Enable Audio Checking Input in VBox manage causes Win 10 guest to crash!

Post by Nick is not my name »

Hi,
I spent time troubleshooting the reason why OBS would crash Win 10 after a few sec. The VU meters were red. It appeared the OBS settings may have been set too high, so I basically turned them off, but still crashed! I did an experiment and checked input in manager and then I tried voice recorder in Win 10. It went 13 seconds and it crashed too. Is their a setting I need to put Vbox manager in before the VM loads for it to not crash when trying any audio input? Or, maybe it's Win 10's issue?

I am using Mac OS High Sierra as a host and Win 10 as a guest. I am including my crash log within this attachment..

Thanks in advance,

Nick Is Name
Attachments
Win 10 3.9.21. -2021-12-02-22-19-20.log
(100.24 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
tkvirt

Re: Enable Audio Checking Input in VBox manage causes Win 10 guest to crash!

Post by tkvirt »

It freezes with a Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS guest also if I try to adjust the volume in the guest and sometimes even at the login window.

The only way to make it work is to disable audio completely for the VM.

Version 6.1.30 r148432, macOS Monterey 12.1
Nick is not my name

tkvirt, It seems that you can check audio out, but not audio in. At least on my machine. Hope this helps!
Nick is not my name

tkvirt, My solution is I bought a professional Microphone (to be use for performance) and plugged it into my Mbox mini interface. In Vbox settings I go to devices and choose Usb. Right there my Mbox mini shows up and I select it. It works! HOWEVER, I just found out that the Mbox mini doesn't show up in both my host and guest so you would have to probably shutdown Vbox let your host acknowledge your interface then restart Vbox.

I would think if you ran the out of your host to your usb interface if you have one you could record directly from your host. A Mac requires adapters unfortunately. I think I have one, but am not sure. If I bought it, a few years past.

You may already have a USB mic you use for on-line or they are relatively cheap, so I would suggest using that for input (probably doesn't have an interface though) until they may fix this issue? Unless it's just the two of us having this issue in which we will need to be advised. Good Luck

Nick Is Not My Name
tkvirt

Post by tkvirt »

I actually don't care about the microphone, I just want Ubuntu to not freeze :D I can confirm that by turning off audio input Ubuntu works. Thanks for the tip!

But VirtualBox seems to get worse and worse on Mac hosts with each new macOS release and with Vmware Fusion 12 being free now, it is perhaps time to switch.
Nick is not my name

HI tkvirt, Although I've had issues that span months sometimes to fix I love Vbox when it is working. I had discovered it many years ago when I took a Powerpoint for Windows class. It was on an older machine and slower, but I was able to do well in the class as a result. I have upgraded my ram in order for my current version to run smoothly in Win. 10. It actually does so I am happy about it. Hopefully they will address the sound issue soon so I can do sound without needing to set my mic up.

I did look into Vmware Fusion and the search result brought me to a site that they were charging for it. Unless their is a version that was free that I didn't see? Thanks for recommending it though. Looks real good! Thanks for the suggestion!
Good luck!

Nick Is Not My Name
Nick is not my name

Well, my first impression is that they didn't address the audio input issue with this last update 6.1.32. unless I'm doing something wrong? I opened up audacity and it recorded whatever I had playing on my host. i saw the audio monitor meters and it recorded a few seconds and froze.

Perhaps in the next upgrade they will address the permission issue as mentioned by granada29.

Thanks, Nick Is Not My Name