Manjaro guest on Big Sur freezes with Big Sur and VB 6.1.30

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
markscott

Manjaro guest on Big Sur freezes with Big Sur and VB 6.1.30

Post by markscott »

VBox and the VM freeze upon launch with 6.1.28 and after upgrade to 6.1.30. I use VMSVGA with 3D acceleration selected. After every second or third shutdown and restart, the VM freezes with black screen and Mac spinning beachball. My workaround is to force quit VBox, launch, change the settings to deselect 3D acceleration, quit Vbox, relaunch, and launch the VM. This works intermittently. I use 16MB of video memory (but have also had the same issue with 128MG of video. Launching VM with 3D acceleration deselected results in black screen. This machine is a MacBook Pro running 11.6.1. Incidentally, I run the same VM on a MacPro with 11.6.1 and 64MB RAM that does not experience this issue.
EZC

Re: Manjaro guest on Big Sur freezes with Big Sur and VB 6.1.30

Post by EZC »

I am having the same issue. I can run reliably under VB 6.1.22 but get freezes and VERR_ACCESS_DENIED dialogs with VB 6.1.30. I am running Mac OS 11.6.2 on an Intel MacBook Pro.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Manjaro guest on Big Sur freezes with Big Sur and VB 6.1.30

Post by granada29 »

It's hard to know what might be going on without a session log of your VM.

However, one thing you could try is to disable Audio in the VM settings and see if that might fix the problem. There have been several reports of attempting to use Audio causing the symptoms you describe.