Cannot Change Guest Display Resolution

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
gentisle
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Various Debian based, Various FreeBSD based, Open Indiana

Cannot Change Guest Display Resolution

Post by gentisle »

Yes, I have loaded Guest Additions...
This is Windows 11 Pro guest on MacOS Catalina with VB 6.1.30, but I cannot change the resolution.
I have Windows 11 Pro guest on my Windows 7 Pro, also VB 6.1.30, and I CAN successfully change the resolution.
On the Mac host, resolution is set at 1024x768, and no amount of mouse clicking or vboxmanage command line commands will get it to change.
However, on the Win 7 host, I have a much higher resolution set (forgot what, I'm on the Mac now). The mac is <1 year old, 2560x1600, and the Win 11 guest
takes up about 20% of the screen. Scaling is at 100% for both hosts.

I followed instructions from a web page that is titled: "How to install Windows 11 on
VirtualBox step by step"
https://digitalmasta.com/how-to-install ... irtualbox/

BTW, if anyone is still trying to install it in VB, the .reg file is on the guest additions disc. Simply create another optical drive,
insert the additions disc in it, boot up, Shift-F10 at the screen, change to the drive w/The Guest Additions disc, type reg import <filename>,
and you're ready to install.

I selected Windows 2019 64 bit as the guest OS in both the Win/Mac hosts.
Followed the instructions, and all seemed to go well. Neither guest has an activation key, I selected the "I don't have a key" option.

Only one difference between the two installations the Mac, I didn't log into an MS account; the Windows, I did. Does anyone know if this would have an affect? I'm trying to keep my account off there and try to maintain at least a little privacy. Thanks,
gentisle
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot Change Guest Display Resolution

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Logging in on a MS account should not affect this.

See Windows Guests for Windows 11 as a VM suggestions.
gentisle
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Various Debian based, Various FreeBSD based, Open Indiana

Post by gentisle »

I'm posting the log file, but I had been using another script file with different vboxmanage commands, and wasn't getting anywhere. I found this old set of commands, and they seemed to work.
VBoxManage setextradata "Name-of-Guest" "CustomVideoMode1" "1920x1440x32"
VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/MaxGuestResolution any
vboxmanage controlvm "Name-of-Guest" setvideomodehint 1920 1440 32

I'm curious about the "Firmware type: failed - VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED" error in the log file, though.

Thanks for your help and response.
Attachments
Windows-11-2021-11-30-08-54-36.log.zip
(34.22 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

gentisle wrote:I'm curious about the "Firmware type: failed - VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED" error in the log file, though.
On Windows and Linux hosts, VirtualBox queries the host OS about the firmware type and writes an appropriate log message. On other host OS types (macOS included), VirtualBox unconditionally writes the log message above.