Kali Linux Virtualbox Mac Os X Lion freeze after initial ramdisk

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Novian

Kali Linux Virtualbox Mac Os X Lion freeze after initial ramdisk

Post by Novian »

Hi everybody

I've been imported the Kali, I've reinstalled everything from the beginning too, and the end of the problem is always the same, it always freezes after loading the initial ramdisk with a freeze white line. anyone know where the problem is?

By the way, Im using old macbook mid 2007, mac os 10.7.5 (Lion)
The last version of the VB for my mac is only 4.0

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Kali Linux Virtualbox Mac Os X Lion freeze after initial ramdisk

Post by scottgus1 »

Novian wrote:The last version of the VB for my mac is only 4.0
I'm not a Mac guru in any way, but how do you know that 4.0 is the latest you can run?

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

VirtualBox User Manual 5.0.40 states in section 1.4 Supported host operating systems:
Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and earlier was removed with VirtualBox 5.0.
In consequence, the limit is VirtualBox 4.3.40 or earlier.
Novian

Post by Novian »

scottgus1 wrote:
Novian wrote:The last version of the VB for my mac is only 4.0
I'm not a Mac guru in any way, but how do you know that 4.0 is the latest you can run?

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
I see from the oracle VM website download, they said 4.0 is the version for mac os 10.7. And when i try to install VM 5.0 version, there is a pop up said if the installer is not compatible for my version of mac.

And for the log file, i will send it soon. thanks
Novian

Post by Novian »

fth0 wrote:VirtualBox User Manual 5.0.40 states in section 1.4 Supported host operating systems:
Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and earlier was removed with VirtualBox 5.0.
In consequence, the limit is VirtualBox 4.3.40 or earlier.
Oh, okay i see. i do not read VM's user manual before, and i will try the other version of VM. thanks for the answer
Novian

Post by Novian »

Now I've been installed VM Version 4.3, and here's the problem not solved.
Attachments
Freezing and force close
Freezing and force close
VBox.png (973 Bytes) Viewed 7210 times
VBox.log.zip
And here's the log file
(41.63 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, this one looks like it's going to be too old a computer. The VM guru-meditated over VERR_PGM_INVALID_CR3_ADDR. Web-searching "VERR_PGM_INVALID_CR3_ADDR site:forums.virtualbox.org" leads to
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86185
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86691
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17436
which say this is because the physical CPU does not support nested paging, which in the log is off, and the required fix is to run a 5.1.x or 5.2.x version, not certain of the last number x. If you can't run 5.1 or 5.2 then you are not able to run this VM. You may have to stick with older VM OS's that don't require nested paging.
Novian

Post by Novian »

scottgus1 wrote:OK, this one looks like it's going to be too old a computer. The VM guru-meditated over VERR_PGM_INVALID_CR3_ADDR. Web-searching "VERR_PGM_INVALID_CR3_ADDR site:forums.virtualbox.org" leads to
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86185
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86691
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17436
which say this is because the physical CPU does not support nested paging, which in the log is off, and the required fix is to run a 5.1.x or 5.2.x version, not certain of the last number x. If you can't run 5.1 or 5.2 then you are not able to run this VM. You may have to stick with older VM OS's that don't require nested paging.
Yup, its my mac is an 2007 computer so very old. Okay then, maybe i just can run VM on my windows PC. Thanks for the answer.