VirtualBox 6.1.28 and 6.1.30 with vagrant on High Sierra

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mvilain

VirtualBox 6.1.28 and 6.1.30 with vagrant on High Sierra

Post by mvilain »

Both these releases have problems that made me downgrade back to 6.1.26. I'm wondering if the regression testing for 10.13 has been dropped.

6.1.28 --> I could create guests with my collection of virtual boxes and they would provision from the command line with shell scripts OK. But I could not run my ansible playbooks against any of the Guests with vagrant. I could ssh into the guest but ansible would not connect to the running guest. This was not a problem with 6.1.26.

6.1.30 --> I couldn't provision a vagrant private network. Virtualbox would not allow me to set any private IP address regardless of what I set in /etc/vbox/networks.conf, even disabling network range checking. This is not a problem on 6.1.26.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox 6.1.28 and 6.1.30 with vagrant on High Sierra

Post by scottgus1 »

Though Vagrant-influenced VMs aren't supported here, there has been a glitch with 6.1.28 on Monterey, and a recent change in Host-Only Networks.

If you're running Monterey on your host, read through the Mac Hosts topic, also the Preleases subforum. There's a couple tricks to get 6.1.28 running. 6.1.30 is supposed to have fixed the problem, but maybe you have a workaround in place that will up-end the fix? I'm no Mac guru....

There is a new requirement for Host-Only networks since 6.1.28 that plugs a security hole. See https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06. ... k_hostonly, at the end of the section, starting at "On Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris Oracle VM VirtualBox...".

Otherwise, please try a Virtualbox-only VM sans Vagrant, and report the error messages or the VM's log, and we'll see what we can do.