[Solved] Access to the files on the hosts from Win8.1: not working?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
doremifajb

[Solved] Access to the files on the hosts from Win8.1: not working?

Post by doremifajb »

Hello ! I have VirtualBox 6.1 installed on my MacBook Pro (mid 2012) with OS 10.12.6. (Sierra.) I recently installed Windows 8.1 as a guest. Now, I cannot find the icon in order to access the files in Macbook. I did in the command prompt

Code: Select all

net use x:\\vboxsvr\share
Then an error message:
System error 67 has occurred.
The network name cannot be found.

I also tried with powershell, but didn't work. I went to the setting> shared folders, chose various folders, tried various different mounting points, auto-mount, etc, various options, or changing x to something else, but nothing shows up anywhere.

I have WinXP, there, under "network", there is an icon "vboxsvrxxxx something", and I could access my files. I don't remember having any difficulty in setting it up. I don't understand why it's not working on 8.1.

I googled around and searched on this forum, too, but didn't managed to find a solution for me: they all suggest what I have done already. I would appreciate if you could please give me advice !
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Access to the files on the hosts from Win8.1: not working?

Post by mpack »

You don't mention installing the Guest Additions (chapter 4), a prerequisite for using any GA feature such as VirtualBox Shared Folders.
doremifajb

Post by doremifajb »

Thank you for your reply with info ! No, I didn't know about guest additions at all: I don't think I had to do it when I installed XP.... Now, I looked at the download page (I am not allowed to post because I'm new) from virtual box.
My Virtualbox is 6.1.18 r142142. In the list, I only see 6.1.0, and with three different ones. Which one is the right one for me ?
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

There is no need to download any files - the GAs are included with the VirtualBox distribution.

To install the GAs:
1. Start the VM
2. Go to menu Devices -> "Insert Guest Additions CD Image ..." (Host menu - not inside the VM)
3. Open the disk image in your VM and run the installer.
4. Follow the on-screen prompts.

If you get stuck, please look at the VirtualBox help - Chapter 4
doremifajb

Post by doremifajb »

Thank you ! It worked all smoothly, now a folder "VBOXSVR" showed up under network, with my files on Macbook there ! Thank you very much for your help !
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

doremifajb wrote:I don't think I had to do it when I installed XP....
If you installed XP (i.e. if someone else didn't do it for you) then installing the GAs was definitely required in order to access GA features. Without the GAs all you can access is the simulated hardware: so no software APIs for shared folders, drag+drop and clipboard, mouse and keyboard integration etc.
doremifajb

Re: [Solved] Access to the files on the hosts from Win8.1: not working?

Post by doremifajb »

OK...then I must have done that for XP, too. I'm pretty sure I did it alone, and I was very much in a hurry (moving across the ocean within 2 days), I don't think I had time to look around for info. Perhaps I was lucky enough to find a tutorial that included the installation of GA as a part of the routine. It's 9 years ago, though.