Slow performance on MacOs when full screen (v2)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
JGleason
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Windows server 2008

Slow performance on MacOs when full screen (v2)

Post by JGleason »

I had to enable 3D acceleration to get to full screen, however, when I try to follow the steps in v1 (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=91864&p=491209) I don't have an option to use low res mode in the "Get Info" component.

How do I get this working? Currently the VM cannot be used because it sends 10 presses per key press.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Slow performance on MacOs when full screen (v2)

Post by scottgus1 »

JGleason wrote:I had to enable 3D acceleration to get to full screen
I've never heard of the need for this myself. 3D acceleration handles different things than what enables Fullscreen, which is enough video RAM and properly-installed Guest Additions, though for Mac guests this may not yet be implemented. You don't mention what guest OS you're running, so I don't know.
JGleason wrote:it sends 10 presses per key press.
Could be a slow VM, which may be sluggish from other reasons than 3D or Fullscreen. If you don't have a ""Open in Low Resolution" checkbox in "Get Info" it could mean your host does not have the circumstances to require low resolution or you may be trying the wrong file? I'm no Mac guru...

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
JGleason
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Windows server 2008

Re: Slow performance on MacOs when full screen (v2)

Post by JGleason »

Thank you for your help I will try to get you the log shortly,

I am running Centos as the guest and apparently there is a Gnome setting to turn of repeating key hits. In Centos that command is

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard repeat false
. The lagging still persists I tried turning off 3d acceleration (even though I want full screen) and turned up the scaling but still nothing. I know I am in the right package because the name matches what it is asking for exactly.

The lagging performance is still too bad to be able to use it for any real development.