VERR_FILE not found

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Cheese7007

VERR_FILE not found

Post by Cheese7007 »

I had to do a restore on my iMac. I did a restore from BackBlaze with contained the .vbox file. When I tried to start that Machine I get an error message of VERR_FILE not found. Can any one tell me were the VERR_FILE is stored? Is it part of the .vbox file and some how missing from my .vbox file? I did create a new machine and do not find as VERR_FILE any where on my iMac.

I did do a search for VERR_FILE on the forums, but could not find any posts relevant to my situation.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VERR_FILE not found

Post by scottgus1 »

Cheese7007 wrote:VERR_FILE not found
That's probably "VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND". It does not mean that there is a "VERR_FILE" that can't be found. The whole error code is VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND, and it means that the file name mentioned elsewhere in the error message cannot be found.

Please post the whole text of the error message, and we'll see what the missing file is.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Cheese7007 wrote:I had to do a restore on my iMac. I did a restore from BackBlaze with contained the .vbox file.
I hope the backup contained a lot more than that, since the .vbox is only the VM settings and is tiny. The drive images (.vdi files) will be GBs in size. The backup (and restore) should consist of the entire contents of a VM folder, and subfolders.

If all you restored was the .vbox file then yes, that would account for the VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND message, because the .vdi image file will be not found.
Cheese7007

Post by Cheese7007 »

Yes, it was the .vdi file that was missing. Thanks for your help. Although I was unable to fine the original .vdi file I was able to build a new machine and reconstruct my environment.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 8. Nov 2021, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed spelling of vdi
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Sounds good. Keep in mind that a full backup of the VM is the whole VM folder, with all folders and files inside the folder. If you keep the disk file outside the folder, you'll have to back that up too. But it is better to keep the disk file inside the VM folder next to the .vbox file. The VM folder can be on any regular platter or SSD drive in the computer.