When USB devices are connected the vm crashes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Steche

When USB devices are connected the vm crashes

Post by Steche »

I have tried this for both windows and ubuntu now. whenever I try to import my usb mouse(as well as my usb keyboard) to a vm, and input keys, the vm would automatically crash.

I run MacOS as my host and use an external HDD for my virtual drive.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: When USB devices are connected the vm crashes

Post by scottgus1 »

Steche wrote:import my usb mouse(as well as my usb keyboard) to a vm,
Are these a separate mouse and keyboard? Or are they the main and only mouse and keyboard?

If they are the main and only, you should not import them through USB Filters. This would take them away from the host, which the host might fight. Virtualbox automatically redirects mouse and keyboard inputs as needed into the VM, automatically if Guest Additions with Mouse Integration are in the VM.

What is the goal of your project?
Steche

Re: When USB devices are connected the vm crashes

Post by Steche »

scottgus1 wrote:
Steche wrote:import my usb mouse(as well as my usb keyboard) to a vm,
Are these a separate mouse and keyboard? Or are they the main and only mouse and keyboard?

If they are the main and only, you should not import them through USB Filters. This would take them away from the host, which the host might fight. Virtualbox automatically redirects mouse and keyboard inputs as needed into the VM, automatically if Guest Additions with Mouse Integration are in the VM.

What is the goal of your project?
The mouse and keyboard are seperated and they are not my main keyboard. The goal of my project was to install drivers for the mouse and keyboard which are not supported on macOS.