bridged networking (en0) stopped working with Monterey

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mstekker

bridged networking (en0) stopped working with Monterey

Post by mstekker »

Hi,

After upgrading to Monterey bridged networking using the mac book pro's internal wifi (en0) stopped working with any (including newly created) VMs. Tried a fresh install after using the uninstaller did not solve the issue.

Before Monterey bridged networking worked fine.

Hoping someone has any suggestion.

Kind regards,

Mart.
mstekker

Re: bridged networking (en0) stopped working with Monterey

Post by mstekker »

Exported my VMs into OVA, imported them into VMWARE Fusion Player and all works fine. Hoping Oracle won't forget the VB MAC community which will become smaller and smaller regarding Apples Intel exit.

For now I will switch to Fusion for continuity (I also will have to switch to the Apple ARM world sooner or later). Hoping Oracle will support Apple's ARM sometime, so I can return.

Thanks for years of productivity with this great product.

Best regards.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Note that if you do in fact have an M1 Mac with the ARM processor, then yes you're stuck until Oracle's customers want an M1 Mac to be supported and they come up with the ready to finance that development.

Otherwise, if you're still on an Intel Mac, don't give up so quick. Monterey just went full-release, and the devs need a bit of time to support it correctly. Same thing happened with Catalina and Big Sur. Also, a Mac forum guru might be able to help, just have to wait a little (Unfortunately I am not that guru, so I don't know how to fix this.)
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Some of the known VirtualBox 6.1.28 issues with macOS 12 Monterey have been fixed in the VirtualBox test builds 6.1.29r147956 and newer.
agile tester

Post by agile tester »

Have you found a solution yet?
I've spent over 5 hours trying to fix this and today I've installed 6.1.30.... still no bridged network on Monterey!
But when I copy the machine to a Windows10 host, it (bridged) works without any problems.
Aargh!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

agile tester wrote:still no bridged network
If that's Wi-Fi you're Bridging to, that can happen. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: Bridged Adapter. Alternates are shown there.
vadim-v

Post by vadim-v »

I'm also having this problem. Bridge network over WiFi worked great before Monterey. Thinking about switching to VMWare (if it works) or maybe installing a test build (which requires disabling system integrity protection - sounds dangerous).
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Me-too posters are expected to read the topic before posting. If you had done so, you'd know why changing to Monterey stops your Bridged to Wi-Fi from working.