USB devices detected but not connecting?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
silvertogold

USB devices detected but not connecting?

Post by silvertogold »

NOVICE ALERT - PLEASE BE Patient with me.

I did a fresh MAC OS install (Big Sur ver 11.6)
Have installed VirtualBox 6.1.28 r147628 (Qt5.6.3)

in VirtualBox, I installed Windows 10 Pro along with some windows based software. (MS Office and some utilities that interface with tools of my trade (battery tester, Flir Camera, etc)

Under the VirtualBox VM Devices/USB menu - my Flir Camera shows correctly on the list and it has a check by it.
But when I run the associated (Flir) software, it does not recognize the device.

when I go into the Windows Device Manager - the USB Serial Bus controllers shows USB Composite Device:

This device cannot start (code 10)
An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function

Any suggestions?
silvertogold

Re: USB devices detected but not connecting?

Post by silvertogold »

still struggling...
I tried to bypass using the camera and plug the memory card directly into the laptop via a USB adapter
that fails with:

USB Mass Storage Device

This device cannot start (Code 10)
An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function.

Any ideas out there?
riso

Post by riso »

Hi,
Do you have VirtualBox Extension Pack installed?
Do you have "USB controler enabled" in your VM settings -> Ports -> USB ?
There you should set correct USB version for your camera.
Look into virtualbox manual about settings USB is good idea too. Maybe you will find there information you need.
silvertogold

Post by silvertogold »

Yes - I do have the Extension Packs installed
I do have the UPS controller enabled
there is no setting for the correct USB version for my camera - I did reach out to Flir, but that has not resulted in a resolution for this issue
I found it interesting that I received the same USB error (cannot start Code 10) for both the camera as well as a memory card
- this makes me wonder if its a setting in Windows or Virtualbox and not my camera?
I also have an USB Irda that doesnt want to work - ugh!
silvertogold

Post by silvertogold »

Any ideas out there?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please note that the Extension Pack version must match the Virtualbox version.

Also, the EP provides a Webcam passthrough: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09. ... assthrough Note the Mac hosts subsection as well.

For general USB devices, or if the Webcam is a disconnectable USB device, Carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
silvertogold

Re: USB devices detected but not connecting? - SOLVED

Post by silvertogold »

Rizo and Scottgus1 - you were both correct!!

While reading the Virtualbox manual on the USB Support, I found USB Controller was set for USB 1.1 and had no other choices with my setup. I did not have the choices of USB 2.0 or 3.0

I had the extension pack installed but somehow, incorrectly. I think I had attached to the extension pack ISO from within the new guest OS and ran it. as a result I did not have the USB 2 or 3 options to choose from.

So I closed the guest OS and Virtualbox, re-dowloaded the extension pack and installed it. THEN I restarted VirtualBox, configured the USB options to include the now available 2.0 and 3.0 and problems solved!!!

thanks you guys!!!!! made my day!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.

One thing to note:
silvertogold wrote:I had attached to the extension pack ISO from within the new guest OS and ran it.
The Extension Pack isn't a ISO, it's a zip file, which is only installed on the host OS. Perhaps you were referring to the Guest Additions, which is an ISO and does get installed in the VM's OS. Guest Additions does not provide any USB support to the VM.
silvertogold

Post by silvertogold »

yes
extension packs vs guest additions

Complete and total brain flagellation - I kept treating these as one in the same
I am thankful for the help !!!