Password not recognised during uninstall

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MikethePilot

Password not recognised during uninstall

Post by MikethePilot »

I successfully installed VirtualBox on my iMac but now wish to uninstall it. However, when I run the uninstall program, I get as far as "Enter Password" but then when I enter either the password for the "administrator" or the password for myself, (I have set up the Mac for 2 users, my wife and myself) neither password is recognised and I get an error message. Can anyone help resolve and allow me to uninstall please?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Password not recognised during uninstall

Post by scottgus1 »

I doubt there is anything related to Virtualbox causing this, it sounds like a Mac OS issue. While a Mac guru here might know what to do, you should look at Mac OS forums too.

On Windows, a password from an Admin account is needed to install and uninstall.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Does this topic really belong in "MacOS Guests"? It sounds like a host issue is being discussed. Please confirm whether the problem is encountered on the host (the physical iMac PC), or inside a MacOS guest (the VM).
MikethePilot

Post by MikethePilot »

I apologise if Ive posted in the wrong area as a newbie. The problem occurs on the iMac itself. I installed VirtualBox but did not continue to then install Windows. I now need to uninstall VirtualBox and when I do so the ununstaller opens "Terminal" commences the uninstall process, but at the "Enter Password" prompt does not recognise the password of either of the 2 users of the iMac
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

You need to be logged in as the admin user. The uninstall script makes the assumption that the logged in user has admin privileges.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Topic moved.
MikethePilot

Post by MikethePilot »

Not sure where it has moved to but thank you for the guidance. I had to download the app again using the administrators login as suggested and then run uninstall from there
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you go the issue resolved.

The topic was moved to Mac Hosts, since it was an issue in the host OS, not inside a VM, the guest.