VirtualBox not working with MacOS Monterey

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
zenon1

VirtualBox not working with MacOS Monterey

Post by zenon1 »

hi,

Is there a solution to allow VirtualBox to run under Mac Monterey ? This last update of Apple locks VirtualBox. And no way to downgrade to Big Sur no dmg available. Apple should have prevent the lock of VB.
Any idea ?
riso

Re: VirtualBox not working with MacOS Monterey

Post by riso »

Hi, my story:
I had latest Big Sur with latest VirtualBox 6.1.28 installed and running perfectly. I upgraded Mac OS to Monterey yesterday.
After upgrade Apple tells me that Oracle extension will not be supported in future versions of Mac OS ( it seemed ok to me ).
When I try start my VM as usually - it crashes. I used to start my VM in Headless mode so I did not try Normal start.
I tried reinstall VirtualBox over and over, restarts,.. but nothing helps.
After that I decided to completely remove VirtualBox and tried to install it again. First installation fails, but second one was successful. After that I installed Ext pack.
What was strange I did not see In Preferences - Security&Privacy any button to add Oracle extension as trusted. It seemed that it was added there maybe in past in Big Sur by me or automatically during VirtualBox installation process. Starting VM in Headless mode still crashes.

By chance I try to start my VM trough "Normal start" and it works and run smoothly.
Mer et Mac

Post by Mer et Mac »

Solution for me,

After upgrade to Monterey «...VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED...»
I just reload and reinstalled the VirtualBox 6.2.28 dmg, boum work as expected!
zenon1

Post by zenon1 »

Mer et Mac wrote:Solution for me,

After upgrade to Monterey «...VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED...»
I just reload and reinstalled the VirtualBox 6.2.28 dmg, boum work as expected!

Hi,

If you reinstall VirtualBox it will work one time. But if you restart your computer then it
will fails. It's very anoying that Apple doen't care about people who needs Linux at least as guest.
Tell me if you confirm about crash when fresh reboot
zenon1

Post by zenon1 »

riso wrote:Hi, my story:
I had latest Big Sur with latest VirtualBox 6.1.28 installed and running perfectly. I upgraded Mac OS to Monterey yesterday.
After upgrade Apple tells me that Oracle extension will not be supported in future versions of Mac OS ( it seemed ok to me ).
When I try start my VM as usually - it crashes. I used to start my VM in Headless mode so I did not try Normal start.
I tried reinstall VirtualBox over and over, restarts,.. but nothing helps.
After that I decided to completely remove VirtualBox and tried to install it again. First installation fails, but second one was successful. After that I installed Ext pack.
What was strange I did not see In Preferences - Security&Privacy any button to add Oracle extension as trusted. It seemed that it was added there maybe in past in Big Sur by me or automatically during VirtualBox installation process. Starting VM in Headless mode still crashes.

By chance I try to start my VM trough "Normal start" and it works and run smoothly.
Hi,

You won't see any thing in Preferences ... because it's rejected considered as not trusted which is a bit far in restrictions.
If you reboot you'll need to reinstall VB as it runs once only. This is very stupid situation.
StephenJ

Post by StephenJ »

I tried reinstalling but it simply fails (even after turning off the special control for foreign installs).

Any idea when a new OSX install will be created to address the issues (kernel ext, etc)?