Cannot start VirtualBox on macOS Monterey

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot start VirtualBox on macOS Monterey

Post by mpack »

kolla wrote: That is no excuse for writing sucky shell scripts with hard coded values
Of course there is. If the script exists at all then it should bracket the supported OS range at both ends. In particular it should not allow newer OS, since those are precisely the ones with unknown behaviour.
Marwa

Post by Marwa »

Installation Failed on Monterey Mac Intel. I have assignments and finals coming up. I get error installation on the new upgrade many times I tried. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. I was told to contact the app developer. Please help.

Thanks
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Could you try with this test build? It is notarized, to avoid the usual SIP trouble...
tigillo
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: CentOS

Post by tigillo »

Harsh, I'd better stay in Big Sur for a while :roll:
zenon1

Post by zenon1 »

tigillo wrote:Harsh, I'd better stay in Big Sur for a while :roll:
Hi,

I have the feeling that Apple does not like Oracle. So makes it anoying, like with Java. With Monterey also PHP is no more a decent language. The Apple box is shrinking with locks.

Those who run M1 processor could claim a disadvantage if Intel offers more for the moment.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

zenon1 wrote:Those who run M1 processor could claim a disadvantage
Not the least of which is, Virtualbox won't work on an M1 Mac. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=98742
scunnagin

Post by scunnagin »

I got the installation error - VB on Monterey. The Oracle kexts would not load properly (even when I explicitly gave permission in Security & Permissions).

This happened before when Big Sur came out; I think the Oracle team isn't so proactive in getting ready for new Mac releases...

The solution was same as last time for me - a sequence of disable/install/enable SIP:

* Reboot and press COMMAND-R (5-10 seconds) so that you enter RECOVERY MODE
* From the menu at the top, open a TERMINAL
* Then, type: CSRUTIL DISABLE + <ENTER>
* Then, type: REBOOT + <ENTER>

Then, when the OS comes up - install Virtualbox. Drivers will be installed sans issues. Next:

* Reboot and press COMMAND-R (5-10 seconds) so that you enter RECOVERY MODE
* From the menu at the top, open a TERMINAL
* Then, type: CSRUTIL ENABLE + <ENTER>
* Then, type: REBOOT + <ENTER>
Smoerreb r
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Mac OS, OS/2, Windows

Post by Smoerreb r »

klaus wrote:Could you try with this test build? It is notarized, to avoid the usual SIP trouble...
Looks much better on my system. The only thing I had to do was reinstall VB extension package (from 6.1.28) for USB 3 support, and now headless start works just as it used to. Is there a better (6.1.29ish) extension package available already?
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Next notarized test build is available. It eliminates the meaningless error message at the end of the VirtualBox installer on Monterey.

If you want an extension pack which works with it get the latest one from the usual test build page. The revision doesn't have to match precisely.
kolla

Post by kolla »

zenon1 wrote:
tigillo wrote:Harsh, I'd better stay in Big Sur for a while :roll:
I have the feeling that Apple does not like Oracle.
Indeed - Apple should have kept their OS kernel on release 11 so that Oracle wouldn't have to update their scripts.
Alternatively - it is all YOUR fault for not checking with Oracle that the OS you attempt to run VirtualBox is supported.

What's important to remember is that regardless - it is NEVER Oracle's fault, not like they had any chance at all to fix compatibility issues BEFORE the OS release, since it is impossible to get hold of any release candidates or betas of the OS months ahead... yeah, bad Apple!
MattyMatt

Post by MattyMatt »

kolla wrote: Indeed - Apple should have kept their OS kernel on release 11 so that Oracle wouldn't have to update their scripts.
Alternatively - it is all YOUR fault for not checking with Oracle that the OS you attempt to run VirtualBox is supported.

What's important to remember is that regardless - it is NEVER Oracle's fault, not like they had any chance at all to fix compatibility issues BEFORE the OS release, since it is impossible to get hold of any release candidates or betas of the OS months ahead... yeah, bad Apple!
If only everything just never changed life would be so much easier for everyone involved. And really, what does Monterey even do that Snow Leopard didn't?
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Come on, the discussion about the busted version check isn't getting any more useful. It's a bug which sneaked through because the dev team couldn't spend any real attention on macOS 12 because we're still spending a lot of manpower with other distractions which Apple is forcing on us. Chewing up months and months of dev time for no real product improvement. Just for "staying alive", often replacing code which was so far platform independent with platform specific one, losing some small feature details here and performance there.

And it's not just Apple (to get the balance right), Microsoft isn't really any diferent.
JonH
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: eComstation, DOS, Win10

Post by JonH »

Thanks for posting the the terminal scripts to get v6.1.28 working on my iMac host (Monterey).
It worked perfectly the first time I tried it.
slipttees

Post by slipttees »

klaus wrote:Next notarized test build is available. It eliminates the meaningless error message at the end of the VirtualBox installer on Monterey.

If you want an extension pack which works with it get the latest one from the usual test build page. The revision doesn't have to match precisely.
Thanks Install and work VM on Monterey Mac Intel!! :-)
zenon1

Post by zenon1 »

Hi,

I tried VB 6.1.29 with and without SIP it does not even install. It's worst than 6.1.28 which can at leats install.