WinXP32 Guest - Mouse swims not moves

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Nap

WinXP32 Guest - Mouse swims not moves

Post by Nap »

[MacBook Pro 2014 15" Retina (i7 - 16GB) w/ Catalina 10.15.6, VirtualBox 6.1.22 r144080 (Qt5.6.3)]

I just added a preconfigured vmdx image that runs WinXP 32bits onto my MacOS Host. The machine seems to run ok; the graphic rendering is fine and snappy, but the mouse movement is giving me motion sickness.
The mouse moves as though it's swimming in a current that occasionally changes from being adative to subtractive.

WinXP, on boot-up seems to find a bunch of new devices, including network card, VGA Display, USB, and so forth. This kind of suggests that I don't have the right hardware being emulated in VirtualBox.
Are there any VirtualBox settings that I might have misconfigured? Should I be inserting the Guest Additions CD?
(I can supply further information as needed.)
Nap

Re: WinXP32 Guest - Mouse swims not moves

Post by Nap »

Installing the Guest Additions has significantly improved the performance. However, it's still finding an unknown USB Controller (though I have it set for USB 1.1), Media Audio Controller (though I have an ICH AC97 configured), and Network Card (though I have the Intel PRO/1000 T Server configured).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: WinXP32 Guest - Mouse swims not moves

Post by mpack »

No, there is no VirtualBox setting that deletes native driver support in XP.

Where did you get this XP image? It doesn't sound like a stock XP, it sounds like one that's been slipstreamed ("tiny xp"), or perhaps an embedded version.