Failed to Open a session for the virtual machine" VM quit Unexpectedly!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Aa99

Failed to Open a session for the virtual machine" VM quit Unexpectedly!

Post by Aa99 »

Hi Community,

Last night I tried to start my Kali on virtual machine which I have been using it for the last two months but got "Failed to Open a session for the virtual machine" I got aborted message-

I got this issue when I started adding additional lab machines - Metasploitable 2, Ubuntu and Win10 into Oracle VirtualBox. I 'm using Oracle VirtualBox 6.1.26|VirtualBox 6.1.26 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack. On macOS Big Sur v11.6
The VM session was aborted.
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}

Troubleshoots w/o success: Any help will be much appreciated!

I thought it was a permission issue -so
-I went on and checked Security & Privacy pan > general tab nothing got prevented.
- checked privacy tab logged in > accessibility> allowed the virtualBoxVM app to control my macOS Big Sur v11.6.
-I right clicked VirtualBox App>get info> under the share permission " everyone read only, but System and admin > read and write.
-Uninstalled all the ISOs and cleaned from the download folders (bowsers and local download folder) assuming something was corrupted.
-Removed oracle application from machine from command line - /Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool ; exit
/usr/local/bin/VirtualBox ...
-Tried both Safari and Chrome for downloading ISO files - but I 'm still having the issue!
Is there a security update on macOS Big Sur 11.6 that may prevents Oracle VM VirtualBox app ?
rosenwinkel

Re: Failed to Open a session for the virtual machine" VM quit Unexpectedly!

Post by rosenwinkel »

Same here. Tried everything that I've found online including a factory reset to the mac (keeping macos 11.6 version). Seems like an issue related to 11.6 update. Any solution is appreciated.