VirtualBox 6.1 - Destroyed me

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MacDragon

VirtualBox 6.1 - Destroyed me

Post by MacDragon »

Hi All

I have been using VB for a couple months now on my MacMini, I have had a few issues along the way but managed to resolve them through google, YT and this forum so thank you all.

I had installed Ubuntu 20.04, Kali, Parrot OS & a few others which i am learning. Mac is Big Sur up to date.

Today i tried to perform an "atp update" in my Parrot OS and i it failed, i got an error (as per screenshot 1). I tried this on Kali, and Ubuntu and had the same issue. I last did this on my ubuntu maybe a week ago and it was fine. I hunted the www and could not find anything on this type of issue, so in desperation i uninstalled VB and all my VMs hoping that would solve the issue.

I re-installed VB and all seemed fine so far. I installed Ubunutu ok but ran into issues when i tried to install the "guest additions" (see screenshot 2), i tried to do the "apt update" same issue. So this install came to a grinding halt :cry:

I tried installing my Kali OVA and that didn't fair any better, i got through some of the install and now it boots and I get left at a command prompt (see screenshot 3)

I assume VB has some fundamental issue so in the mean time i will download a fresh copy, remove all the VB files i can find hiding in my library incase a corrupted file is hanging around.

However I dont have any understanding the issues presented in the screenshots, if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to drop a message and I will dig into it further....

Thank you
Mac
Attachments
Kali command prompt
Kali command prompt
screenshot 3.png (35.45 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
guest additions
guest additions
screenshot 2.png (54.06 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
error from several OS's
error from several OS's
screenshot 1.png (34.71 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox 6.1 - Destroyed me

Post by mpack »

The error messages show a guest issue, e.g. guest disk corruption or perhaps just a permissions issue (logged in as wrong user). I don't see how that could affect multiple guests, but if you say it does then it implies a common factor on the host, e.g. corruption or out of space on the host drive those VMs are located on.

You need to correct the issues with the host drive, and then restore the VMs from a backup or recreate them.

I can't be any more specific without a VM log, but just in case this is relevant: it is often a very bad idea to locate VMs on a removable drive, and potentially fatal if that drive is FAT formatted.

The VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED error is a FAQ. Try a search.