Extension pack downloading a GZIP file?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
cah329a
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win 10

Extension pack downloading a GZIP file?

Post by cah329a »

Some weirdness happening with the extension pack download. When I run my cursor across it, it says it's https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... ox-extpack . But it's not downloading as a vbox: what I get is a gzip file. No vbox in there either.

Some stupid setting on my Mac? Or is it really wrong on the server?

Cindy Harris
Big Sur OSX 11.6
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Extension pack downloading a GZIP file?

Post by mpack »

What does "as a vbox" mean?

Yes, the extension pack is an archive containing the software plugins documented in chapter 1.5 of the the user manual.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Yes, the Extension Pack is a renamed gzip file. Your Mac host or the browser is being overzealous. The extension should be ".vbox-extpack"

The final name of the downloaded gzip file will be:

Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-Z.Y.X.vbox-extpack

where Z.Y.X are the version numbers of the Extension Pack. So 6.1.26's EP will be called:

Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.26.vbox-extpack
cah329a
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win 10

Post by cah329a »

scottgus1 wrote:Yes, the Extension Pack is a renamed gzip file. Your Mac host or the browser is being overzealous. The extension should be ".vbox-extpack"

The final name of the downloaded gzip file will be:

Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-Z.Y.X.vbox-extpack

where Z.Y.X are the version numbers of the Extension Pack. So 6.1.26's EP will be called:

Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.26.vbox-extpack
Well, that's what it is. But when I click on it it doesn't install -- it just unzips. The last time I did this (probably a year since I used the software), it just ran and installed when I double-clicked it on my Mac, Is there a setting that needs to be re-set on my Mac?

Cindy
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

@cah329a

Your launchservices database probably needs to be rebuilt. You can use a tool such as Onyx. There are many other tools that will do similar things. I don't know how the association with VirtualBox has been lost, but it does happen from time to time.

You can also load the file directly using the VirtualBox Manager->Preferences->Extensions

Another way is to right-click the file and choose "Open with ..." from the popup menu. Choose /Applications/VirtualBox in the file browser.