MackBook Air With M1 Chip-Cannot Run

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
GKK

MackBook Air With M1 Chip-Cannot Run

Post by GKK »

Hello All,

I recently bought MackBook Air with M1 Chip.
I have successfully installed the virtual box 6.1.26-145957.
i went into appliance to import.
I have a .ova file that i have imported successfully and it showed up in the virtual box.

Now, when i am trying to start this, i am getting errors in two separate pop-ups. Pasting the error for your reference. Attached the screen shot as well for your refence.

The virtual machine 'vm' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT. ]

When i use my Intel based Mackbook, i am able to download, install, and import the .ova file and i can able to start the same without any issues. Why the M1chip based Mackbook is not allowing to start the imported .ova file.
how can i start an imported .ova file in an M1 Chip based Mackbook Air / Pro.
Please assist
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: MackBook Air With M1 Chip-Cannot Run

Post by scottgus1 »

GKK wrote:I recently bought MackBook Air with M1 Chip.
This is the killer. Virtualbox is an x86 program and won't run on an M1. See the stickies at the top of Mac Hosts. If you're intent on running Virtualbox on a Mac, you'll have to swap out for an x86-based Mac.

BTW, the Mac in your situation is the host, not the guest. Moving this from Mac Guests to Mac Hosts.