Invisible mouse pointer

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MomoL

Invisible mouse pointer

Post by MomoL »

Hello,
I come to you with a very blocking and annoying problem. I recently upgraded VB to version 6.1. Result since this update, impossible to use my windows 10 session on virtual box normally. Between 30s to 1min after starting the virtual machine my mouse becomes invisible in the virtual machine and it appears only on my Mac.
Do you have any ideas or solutions to solve the problem.
I have no backup and I have tried several options but my mouse disappears so quickly that I don't have time to do much before my session is completely blocked. The only remaining solution is to shut down the virtual machine!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Invisible mice

Post by scottgus1 »

Please start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Please use a stopwatch start it when you start the VM, and report the time when the mouse pointer does its thing.

Also, please explain the a little more:
MomoL wrote:my mouse becomes invisible in the virtual machine and it appears only on my Mac.
Does this mean that when you're moving the mouse around, you can see it while it's over the Mac desktop, but when it's over the VM window the mouse pointer disappears? And does the VM OS do anything at the same time the mouse pointer does what it does? For example, 30-60 seconds after the VM starts, the VM OS could be loading the desktop. Is that when the mouse pointer disappears?
MomoL

Re: Invisible mouse

Post by MomoL »

First of all, thank you for your answer.
It turns out that last night I changed the configuration of a setting in my virtual machine session.
System > Acceleration > paravirtualization > Hyper V and not default.

Since then, I don't seem to have any problem with my mouse disappearing.

To answer your question, my mouse was disappearing after opening my windows session (VM). For example, if I opened a program, when I opened the program in my virtual windows session, my mouse did not appear in the VM but only in my Mac environment.

In my Mac desktop, it worked perfectly and as soon as I got closer to the VB window or when my mouse passed over the VB window, I could see my mouse passing behind the window of my virtual machine. The mouse was not integrated anymore in the window of my virtual machine. It was then impossible for me to use my keyboard and my mouse in the VB window preventing me from doing any manipulation in my virtual machine session.

Oh, and sorry for the typo in "mouse" in the title of my post :oops:
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Invisible mice

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad you got the problem fixed! Strange that Paravirtualization solved it. But that's good to know!

The mouse pointer was going behind the VM window. Eclectic!

I'll fix the typo and mark the topic solved.
MomoL

Invisible mouse pointer Again !

Post by MomoL »

I shouted victory too early, the problem came back this afternoon. So my solution does not seem to work.

From what I understand it's a recurrent problem in Virtual Box.

I add the file with the log of my virtual machine. I started my virtual machine at 15:08 and the mouse disappeared at the virtual machine exactly after 1 min 25 s 97 c.

I want to specify that I have a bluetooth mouse. I tried with the pad of my computer but the problem is identical. My mouse becomes invisible or freezes at a place on my screen in my virtual machine and my mouse on the other hand is easily moved on my Mac desktop.

I have tried the following options but none of them work:
- turn my mouse off and on,
- trying to connect my computer's pad to use only the pad's mouse;
- turn off and on the mouse integration option (small mouse icon in the VM at the bottom right);
- record a keyboard shortcut for the integration or not of the mouse;

So I come back with the hope of finding a solution thanks to you,

Thanking you for your help,

Sincerely
Attachments
s617-2021-09-08-15-10-20.log.zip
Show log
(34.29 KiB) Downloaded 13 times